Circuit Analysis: Solving Urgent Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a circuit problem involving multiple resistors and nodes. The original circuit had a 10 ohm resistor which was ignored since it was shorted out. The circuit was redrawn with the nodes labeled and the 10 ohm resistor eliminated. One person suggested that the drawing was incorrect as it did not preserve all the nodes and connections. Ultimately, the correct solution was found to be 16 kilo-Ohms by following the current from the negative terminal.
planauts

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/1faG5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://puu.sh/1faFD

I labelled the nodes ^^.

I redrew the circuit based on the nodes, I ignored the 10 ohm resistor because it short circuits. (Note: I drew the series resistors in reverse order, 80 ohms should be between Node A and Node B, instead, I drew it between B&C. However, the result should be the same.)

http://puu.sh/1faFh
Based on this, the resistance is:
20 || 30 || (80+8)

Req = 10.56 ohms.

But that is not the answer, I'm not sure where I am going wrong, could someone please help me out please. Thanks a lot! Exam tomorrow :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your second drawing you have NODE C directly connected to terminal B. This is not how it is in the original drawing. I think you need to think a little more about how to redraw the circuit so that all the nodes and connections are preserved.

Eliminating the 10k resistor is fine; as you say, it's shorted out. The same short puts the top of the 20k resistor in contact with the bottom of the 30k resistor...

I got 16 kilo-Ohms, I think I understand what mistake I made now. I didn't follow the current from the negative terminal, I was just trying to make them connect. Makes sense now. :) THanks

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding electrical circuits in order to determine the behavior of the current and voltage within the circuit. It involves using various techniques and tools to solve problems and design circuits.

Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. This is crucial in the design and troubleshooting of various electronic devices and systems.

What are the different techniques used in circuit analysis?

There are several techniques used in circuit analysis, including Kirchhoff's Laws, Ohm's Law, Thevenin's Theorem, and Norton's Theorem. These techniques involve using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and solve circuit problems.

How do I solve an urgent homework problem in circuit analysis?

To solve an urgent homework problem in circuit analysis, it is important to first understand the problem and the concepts involved. Then, use the appropriate techniques and tools to analyze and solve the problem step by step. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for guidance.

What are some common mistakes made in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes made in circuit analysis include incorrect application of equations and principles, incorrect labeling of components, and overlooking important details in the circuit. It is important to double check all steps and calculations to avoid making mistakes in circuit analysis.