Use Lagrange multipliers to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix

In summary: The eigenvectors are not the standard basis vectors, they are the vectors that maximize the function f(x,y) constraint to the unit disk. So, in terms of the equation you are solving for y, you are looking for the vector that corresponds to the point (0,1), which is e_1.
5hassay

Homework Statement

Use Lagrange multipliers to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix

[itex]A=\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4\\4 & 8\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book deals with this as an exercise. From what I understand, it says to consider the function [itex]f(x,y) = \frac{1}{2}(A[x,y]) \cdot [x,y][/itex], with the assumption that [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric (which is the case here).

It then asks what the gradient of the function is, which is [itex]\nabla f(x,y) = A[x,y][/itex].

It then asks to restrict [itex]f[/itex] to the region [itex]S=\{[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 \leq 1\}[/itex]. Then, it then states that there must exists a vector [itex][x,y] \in S[/itex] and a real number [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]A[x,y] = \lambda [x,y][/itex], and claiming that finding the maxima and minima of [itex]f[/itex] constrained to [itex]S[/itex] will give the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [itex]A[/itex].

Why is this true? To be more precise, why do the eigenvalues and eigenvectors only exists in the unit disk? And, how do we know there exists such a [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] that [itex]A[x,y] = \lambda [x,y][/itex]? I tried Lagrange multipliers, but I could only verify that [itex]A[x,y] = 2 \lambda [x,y][/itex].

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Use Lagrange multipliers to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix

[itex]A=\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4\\4 & 8\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book deals with this as an exercise. From what I understand, it says to consider the function [itex]f(x,y) = \frac{1}{2}(A[x,y]) \cdot [x,y][/itex], with the assumption that [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric (which is the case here).

It then asks what the gradient of the function is, which is [itex]\nabla f(x,y) = A[x,y][/itex].

It then asks to restrict [itex]f[/itex] to the region [itex]S=\{[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 \leq 1\}[/itex]. Then, it then states that there must exists a vector [itex][x,y] \in S[/itex] and a real number [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]A[x,y] = \lambda [x,y][/itex], and claiming that finding the maxima and minima of [itex]f[/itex] constrained to [itex]S[/itex] will give the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [itex]A[/itex].

Why is this true? To be more precise, why do the eigenvalues and eigenvectors only exists in the unit disk? And, how do we know there exists such a [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] that [itex]A[x,y] = \lambda [x,y][/itex]? I tried Lagrange multipliers, but I could only verify that [itex]A[x,y] = 2 \lambda [x,y][/itex].

Thanks.

The reason this works is that since the matrix is symmetric you know the two eigenvectors are orthogonal. Call them e1 and e2 with eigenvectors λ1 and λ2. And you actually want to extremize on the unit circle x^2+y^2=1 (not the unit disk). A vector on the unit circle is given by v=a*e1+b*e2 where a^2+b^2=1, yes? Now you should be able to compute that A(v).v=λ1*a^2+λ2*b^2. With me so far? Now if λ1>λ2 then clearly the max of A(v).v is where a=1, b=0 and the min is where a=0, b=1. So the extrema of the Lagrange problem will give you the eigenvectors e1 and e2. To solve the lagrange problem try and eliminate x from the equations and look at the equation for y and then eliminate y since it can't be zero and give you an eigenvector. Find possible values of lambda. And sure, there are eigenvectors outside of the unit circle, but they are all multiples of the ones on the unit circle.

Last edited:
BTW, this is a bit harder than finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors the usual way using linear algebra. You might want to try that easier way first so you know what to expect. That's what I did.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The reason this works is that since the matrix is symmetric you know the two eigenvectors are orthogonal. Call them e1 and e2 with eigenvectors λ1 and λ2. And you actually want to extremize on the unit circle x^2+y^2=1 (not the unit disk). A vector on the unit circle is given by v=a*e1+b*e2 where a^2+b^2=1, yes? Now you should be able to compute that A(v).v=λ1*a^2+λ2*b^2. With me so far? Now if λ1>λ2 then clearly the max of A(v).v is where a=1, b=0 and the min is where a=0, b=1. So the extrema of the Lagrange problem will give you the eigenvectors e1 and e2. To solve the lagrange problem try and eliminate x from the equations and look at the equation for y and then eliminate y since it can't be zero and give you an eigenvector. Find possible values of lambda. And sure, there are eigenvectors outside of the unit circle, but they are all multiples of the ones on the unit circle.

thanks for the reply.

I still find the concept odd, but it is a bit more clear, thanks. I think I just need time for this to settle in my mind, maybe.

A few questions, though.

One, when we are referring to the eigenvectors as [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex], are we referring to them as [itex][1,0][/itex] and [itex][0,1][/itex], the standard basis vectors of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]? If not, then my understanding of equality of [itex](Av) \cdot v = a^2 \lambda_1 + b^2 \lambda_2[/itex] goes out the window, as my work for that relied on that.

Since the rest of my questions rely on the eigenvectors being such standard basis vectors, I'll wait for a response.

thanks

Dick said:
BTW, this is a bit harder than finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors the usual way using linear algebra. You might want to try that easier way first so you know what to expect. That's what I did.

yeah, I agree, haha

5hassay said:
thanks for the reply.

I still find the concept odd, but it is a bit more clear, thanks. I think I just need time for this to settle in my mind, maybe.

A few questions, though.

One, when we are referring to the eigenvectors as [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex], are we referring to them as [itex][1,0][/itex] and [itex][0,1][/itex], the standard basis vectors of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]? If not, then my understanding of equality of [itex](Av) \cdot v = a^2 \lambda_1 + b^2 \lambda_2[/itex] goes out the window, as my work for that relied on that.

Since the rest of my questions rely on the eigenvectors being such standard basis vectors, I'll wait for a response.

No, e1 and e2 aren't the standard basis. But you can select them to be orthonormal eigenvectors of A. They are orthogonal because A is symmetric and you can normalize them so |e1|=|e2|=1. So e1.e1=e2.e2=1 and e1.e2=0.

Last edited:

1. What are Lagrange multipliers and how do they work?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to optimize a function subject to one or more constraints. They work by finding the stationary points of the function, which are the points where the gradient of the function is equal to the gradient of the constraint(s).

2. How are Lagrange multipliers used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix?

In order to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix using Lagrange multipliers, we first set up a Lagrangian function that includes the matrix, its eigenvectors, and the constraint that the eigenvectors must be unit vectors. Then, we solve for the stationary points of the Lagrangian, which correspond to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

3. Can Lagrange multipliers only be used for square matrices?

No, Lagrange multipliers can be used for matrices of any size. However, in order to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a non-square matrix, we first need to convert it into a square matrix by adding a constraint that makes it symmetric.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Lagrange multipliers to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

One potential drawback is that Lagrange multipliers only give us a set of stationary points, which may not necessarily be the global maximum or minimum. Additionally, the method can become quite complex and computationally intensive for larger matrices.

5. Are there any other methods for finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, there are several other methods for finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, such as the power method, QR algorithm, and Jacobi method. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of matrices and may also provide more accurate results compared to using Lagrange multipliers.