Using a pendulum to find Planetary mass and radius

In summary, the explorer is trying to find the planetary mass and radius using a pendulum of length L. The average elevation of the planet is R, and at this elevation, the pendulum has period T1. After climbing up 2km, the pendulum has period T2. To express M and R in terms of other variables, we can use the equations Fg= GMm/R^2 and T=2(pi)(sqrt(v/g)). Another equation is needed to solve for these variables, and one possibility is to use the fact that at a higher elevation, the pendulum's period will change. With this additional equation, we can solve for M and R.
boardaddict
Long Time reader, first time caller

Homework Statement

An explorer wants to find planetary mass M and radius R using a pendulum of length L. The average elevation of the planet is R. At this elevation the pendulum has period T1. He then climbs up 2km where the pendulum has period t2. Express M and R interms of other variables need to calculate. Assume the planet is spherical

Homework Equations

Fg= GMm/R^2

T=2(pi)(sqrt(v/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

g = 4pi^2 L/T^2= GMm/R^2

I know I need another equation, I was hoping someone could point one out or tell me what I am missing. Obviously this could be solved one of ther variable but at the moment I have 3 var. and 2 equations. I thought about CoM but or CoE but then that brings in a lot more variables.

any thoughts

Physics news on Phys.org
4pi^2 L/T^2= GM/R^2 (note: NOT GMm/R^2) is for ground level. Write another equation that says the pendulum has period t2 2km up.

1. How does a pendulum help in finding planetary mass and radius?

A pendulum can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity on a planetary surface. This acceleration is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet, making it a useful tool for determining these parameters.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of using a pendulum to find planetary mass and radius?

The accuracy of using a pendulum to find planetary mass and radius can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the length and weight of the pendulum, and the precision of the measuring equipment used.

3. Can a pendulum be used to find the mass and radius of any planet?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to find the mass and radius of any planet as long as the necessary measurements and calculations are performed accurately. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the planet's surface conditions and other external factors.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect the results of the planetary mass and radius calculation?

The length of a pendulum can affect the results of the planetary mass and radius calculation by changing the period of the pendulum's swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, making it more sensitive to small changes in acceleration due to gravity and improving the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pendulum to find planetary mass and radius?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a pendulum to find planetary mass and radius. These include the need for accurate measurements and calculations, and the assumption that the planet has a uniform density. Additionally, pendulum measurements may not be as accurate on planets with extreme surface conditions such as high winds or rough terrain.