Using calculus to prove a relation between demand elasticity and AR, MR

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem that asks to prove a equation involving AR (average revenue) and MR (marginal revenue). The problem also required verification for a demand equation using steps involving AR and MR. The conversation also mentioned using derivatives and the inverse function to solve the problem.
idempotency
Hi all,

The problem asks to prove:
[tex]e_{Q,P} = \frac{AR}{AR-MR}[/tex]

In which AR is average revenue and MR is marginal revenue.

Then verify this for demand equation [tex] p = a-bx[/tex]

I developed several steps:
[tex]
\begin{flalign*}AR = \frac{TR(Q)}{Q} ; MR = \frac{dTR(Q)}{dQ} \\*

\frac{AR}{AR-MR} = 1 - \frac{AR}{MR} = 1 - \frac{TR(Q)}{Q} . \frac{dQ}{dTR(Q)}\end{flalign*}[/tex] (??)

Then I also found that this proof brings me somewhat closer to e(Q,P):
[tex]
\begin{flalign*} Q=a-bP\\*
Thus: ~ TR = (a-bP).P = aP-bP^2 (1)\\*
Taking~the~derivatives:
\frac{\partial TR}{\partial P} = a-2bP (2)\\*

From~(1): P = \frac{a-Q}{b} \\*
Thus~ (a),(b):\\*
\frac{TR}{\partial P} = a+ \frac{a-Q}{b} = 3a-2Q\\*

Elastic~function: E(P) = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial P} . \frac{P}{Q} \\*
= b . \frac{a-Q}{Qb} (from~(b))\\*
We~have: Q(1+E) = Q(1=\frac{Q-a}{Q} = ... = a + b(2-a)\\*

\end{flalign*}[/tex]

I am a bit stuck here - I am attempting to prove that ∂TR/∂P=Q(1+E) is true (which it is I believe and may go from there.

Am I overcomplicating this? Can you give some hints?

Thanks.

Omaron

Note: Apology for the weird indentation - still trying to figure out LaTeX

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your first mistake is in thinking that

[tex]\frac{AR}{AR-MR} = 1 - \frac{AR}{MR}[/tex]

which is an algebra error that renders each of those equalities false. I might take a look at this later. Since it's econ and not really math, I expect that an abuse of notation will probably be employed.

o you - that's dumb... :S

All right I worked out the details. It's always a good idea to work out the specific case first, so I'll start with that. Well the other part of what you wrote that you don't want to do is to treat the derivatives as fractions (this may be confusing because econ professors like to translate discrete cases into continuous cases by abusing differentials).

Now notice that you immediately worked with the inverse of the demand function by treating price as a function of quantity (defined by P(Q)). This is good, since AR is price, so in place of AR, you should have (a-Q)/b. To calculate MR, note we have chosen to work with price as a function of quantity, so simply multiply P = (a-Q)/b by Q and then differentiate with respect to Q. This is the wise choice since we already wrote down dTR/dQ for MR so we need to write things in terms of quantity. Well we don't need to, since we could work with quantity as a function of price, but I think this way is more intuitive. You should check that this works.

I'll let you figure out the general case some more. It's really simply a matter of not getting confused about the functional relationship between P and Q, namely that they are obviously inverse functions. If you understood the specific case, you should be able to do this. There is however, no way around not using the formula for the derivative of an inverse function because elasticity has a dQ/dP factor but on the right hand side we have MR = dTR/dQ.

1. How is calculus used to prove a relation between demand elasticity and AR, MR?

Calculus is used to find the derivatives of the demand function and the total revenue function. These derivatives are then compared to determine the relationship between demand elasticity and average revenue (AR) and marginal revenue (MR).

2. What is demand elasticity?

Demand elasticity is a measure of how responsive the quantity demanded of a good or service is to a change in price. It is calculated as the percentage change in quantity demanded divided by the percentage change in price.

3. What is the relationship between demand elasticity and AR, MR?

The relationship between demand elasticity and AR, MR is inverse. This means that as demand elasticity increases (i.e. demand becomes more responsive to price changes), AR and MR decrease. This is because as prices increase, demand for the good or service decreases, leading to a decrease in AR and MR.

4. How does calculus help to prove this relationship?

Calculus provides a mathematical framework for analyzing the relationship between demand elasticity and AR, MR. By taking derivatives, we can determine the rate of change of these variables and compare them to see how they are related. Additionally, calculus allows us to find the exact values for these variables at any given point, providing a more precise understanding of the relationship.

5. Can calculus be used to predict changes in demand elasticity and AR, MR?

Yes, calculus can be used to predict changes in demand elasticity and AR, MR. By analyzing the derivatives of the demand function and the total revenue function, we can make predictions about how changes in price will affect demand and revenue. However, these predictions are based on assumptions and may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios.