Using DC Power to Create Electron Flow in a Tungsten Filament Light Bulb

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a light bulb with a tungsten filament to create an electron flow through a vacuum with the use of DC current. The idea involves using two different power supplies, one to heat the filament and the other to create a potential difference. The question also arises if this concept is similar to a heated filament in a CRT (TV picture tube).
cragar
If i have a light bulb , and it has a tungsten filament and when i turn it on its gets hot ,
If i hook a lead to the filament and then put the anode away from the filament can i get electrons to flow through the vacuum , assuming this is done with DC current. If we used 2 different power supplies one to heat it and the other to create a potential difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
If i have a light bulb , and it has a tungsten filament and when i turn it on its gets hot ,
If i hook a lead to the filament and then put the anode away from the filament can i get electrons to flow through the vacuum , assuming this is done with DC current. If we used 2 different power supplies one to heat it and the other to create a potential difference.

Do you mean like a heated filament in a CRT (TV picture tube)?

yes i do

Related to Using DC Power to Create Electron Flow in a Tungsten Filament Light Bulb

1) What is DC power and how does it create electron flow in a tungsten filament light bulb?

DC power, or direct current, is a type of electrical current that flows in one direction. This is in contrast to AC power, which alternates direction. In order to create electron flow in a tungsten filament light bulb, the positive end of the DC power source is connected to one end of the filament, while the negative end is connected to the other end. This creates a circuit and allows the flow of electrons through the filament, causing it to heat up and produce light.

2) What is the purpose of using a tungsten filament in a light bulb?

Tungsten is used as a filament in light bulbs because it has a high melting point and is able to withstand the high temperatures needed to produce light. Additionally, tungsten is a good conductor of electricity, making it an efficient material for creating electron flow in a light bulb.

3) How does the temperature of the tungsten filament affect the brightness and color of the light produced?

The temperature of the tungsten filament directly affects the brightness and color of the light produced. As the filament heats up, it emits more light and the color of the light shifts from red to orange to yellow to white. This is due to the phenomenon known as blackbody radiation, where the color of light emitted by a hot object is determined by its temperature.

4) Does the amount of DC power supplied to the light bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the amount of DC power supplied to the light bulb does affect its brightness. The higher the voltage of the DC power, the brighter the light produced by the tungsten filament. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage beyond a certain point can cause the filament to overheat and burn out.

5) Are there any disadvantages to using DC power to create electron flow in a tungsten filament light bulb?

One potential disadvantage is that DC power is not readily available in most homes and buildings, as it is typically converted to AC power for everyday use. This means that special equipment and wiring may be needed to use DC power for lighting. Additionally, DC power is less efficient for long distance transmission compared to AC power, which may make it a less practical option for large-scale lighting systems.