Using Newtons 2nd law for rotational motion

In summary, The problem at hand involves showing relations between wire tensions using Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion. The law states that dL/dt = torque, with L being angular momentum. The pulleys themselves may not have any angular momentum, but the forces in the strings do have moment about the centres of the pulleys. Writing out the torque equations for the pulleys should help solve the problem.
gralla55
I've attached an image explaining the problem. All pulleys are massless. Basically, they want me to show some relations between wire tensions, using Newtons 2nd law for rotational motion.

This law is written in my book as:

dL / dt = torque, where L is angular momentum.

I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Since there is no mass in the pulleys, they shouldn't have any angular momentum. And if they don't, how can I apply this law for anything? Or perhaps they just want me to state that since the pulleys are clearly falling straight down (no lateral movement), the string tensions on each end of each pulley has to be equal to each other?

Any help here would be very appreciated!

Attachments

• oppg.png
    oppg.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Although the pulleys themselves have no angular momentum, the forces in the strings have moment about the centres of the pulleys. If you write out the torque equations for the pulleys you should get the desired answers.

1. What is Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion?

Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion states that the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque acting on the object, and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. In other words, the more torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be, and the more difficult it will be to change its rotational motion.

2. How is Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion different from the linear version?

The linear version of Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. In rotational motion, the same principles apply, but instead of force and mass, we use torque and moment of inertia.

3. How can Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion be applied in real-world situations?

Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the force and torque needed to rotate a lever or calculating the acceleration of a spinning top. It can also be used in engineering designs for machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration in Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration in Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion is directly proportional. This means that if the torque on an object is increased, its angular acceleration will also increase, and if the torque is decreased, the angular acceleration will decrease as well.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of an object?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. This is why objects with larger masses or masses distributed farther from the axis of rotation have higher moments of inertia and require more torque to rotate.