Using Newtons law and mechanical energy?

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a car rolling down a ramp with an angle of 9.9 degrees and no friction, using conservation of mechanical energy. The initial height is not equal to the distance traveled down the ramp, and a diagram must be drawn to determine the correct value of Δh. The equation used is 1/2mv(initial)^2+mgh(initial)=1/2mv(final)^2+mgh(final). The correct value of the final speed is 31.94 m/s.
jimmyboykun
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A car is rolling down a ramp that is inclined at and angle of 9.9 degree with respect to horizontal. There is no friction acting from the road on the tires.

Employ conservation of mechanical energy to find the speed of a car that starts from rest and rolls down the ramp a distance of 52 m.

2. Homework Equations [/b]

1/2mv(initial)^2+mgh(initial)=1/2mv(final)^2+mgh(final)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]
Vi=0m/s
Vf=?
hi=52m
hf=0

52mg=1/2vf

2*52m*9.81m/s^2=vf

√1020.24m^2s^2=√v

31.94m/s=v

I got a 1 out of ten in this problem. most likely got the units right, but my math did I used the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial height is not 52 m. Draw a diagram to see why this is the case.

subzero0137 said:
The initial height is not 52 m. Draw a diagram to see why this is the case.

ok I drew the free body diagram initial height is not 52m. would the 52 m be considered Δh?

Not quite - 52m is the distance the car travels down the ramp. It's change in height is not equal to this distance because this distance is composed of both the x and y distances. :)

Tsunoyukami said:
Not quite - 52m is the distance the car travels down the ramp. It's change in height is not equal to this distance because this distance is composed of both the x and y distances. :)

ok in this equation, where would the 52 m be placed, or am I using the proper equation for mechanical energy?

jimmyboykun said:
ok I drew the free body diagram initial height is not 52m. would the 52 m be considered Δh?

No.
HINT: You have to use the value of the angle of the ramp and 52 m to get your Δh.

1. What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion is a fundamental principle of physics that describes the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. It states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's law of motion apply to mechanical energy?

According to Newton's law of motion, the change in an object's mechanical energy is equal to the work done by the external forces acting upon it. This means that the net force acting on an object will cause a change in its mechanical energy, either by increasing or decreasing it.

3. Can Newton's law of motion be used to predict an object's motion?

Yes, Newton's law of motion can be used to predict an object's motion by analyzing the forces acting upon it. By knowing the net force and the mass of an object, one can calculate its acceleration and predict its future motion.

4. What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in regards to Newton's law of motion?

According to Newton's law of motion, the sum of an object's potential and kinetic energy is constant, meaning that as one energy increases, the other decreases. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

5. Can Newton's law of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's law of motion can be applied to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. It is a universal principle that governs the behavior of all objects in motion.