Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Using the term "net charge"

1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    Hello guy, I have questions with the use of the terms "net charge"
    As far as I know we use net charge when we want to make a sum of positive charge + negative charge

For example the net charge of Na+ = +11+(-10)= +1
    the net charge of Cl- = _______ = -1

But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?
    A proton has a net charge of 2/3e+ 2/3e- ⅓e= +1e (since it is made of quarks)
    A neutron has a net charge of 0 (the same as a proton but the "sum" is zero)
    An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You can indeed.

As far as I know you can. I don't think it makes a difference in the end since your final number is the same. 0e + (-1)e = -1e is the same as -1e.

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3

DrClaude

What does the +0e stand for?

I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

5. Nov 1, 2016 #4

Drakkith

I suppose you could if you separated the unit of charge from the object possessing it, but that likely causes problems.

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    The main reason is that the proton is made up of quarks and the electron is not. (My opinion)

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

jtbell

But what does your +0e stand for, with respect to the electron? An electron has no uncharged component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted