Can we apply the concept of net charge to subatomic particles?

• Thread starter ConfusedRookie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term "net charge" in relation to subatomic particles, specifically protons, neutrons, and electrons. It is agreed that net charge can be used for these particles, but there is some disagreement on whether the notation of +0e -1e = -1e is valid for electrons. The main reason for this is that protons are made up of quarks while electrons are not.
ConfusedRookie
Hello guy, I have questions with the use of the terms "net charge"
As far as I know we use net charge when we want to make a sum of positive charge + negative charge

For example the net charge of Na+ = +11+(-10)= +1
the net charge of Cl- = _______ = -1

But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?
A proton has a net charge of 2/3e+ 2/3e- ⅓e= +1e (since it is made of quarks)
A neutron has a net charge of 0 (the same as a proton but the "sum" is zero)
An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.

Physics news on Phys.org
ConfusedRookie said:
But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?

You can indeed.

ConfusedRookie said:
An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.
As far as I know you can. I don't think it makes a difference in the end since your final number is the same. 0e + (-1)e = -1e is the same as -1e.

ConfusedRookie said:
What does the +0e stand for?

I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

DrClaude said:
I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

I suppose you could if you separated the unit of charge from the object possessing it, but that likely causes problems.

DrClaude said:
What does the +0e stand for?

The main reason is that the proton is made up of quarks and the electron is not. (My opinion)

But what does your +0e stand for, with respect to the electron? An electron has no uncharged component.

1. What is net charge?

Net charge refers to the overall electric charge of an object or system. It is determined by the balance between the positive and negative charges present.

2. How is net charge calculated?

To calculate net charge, you subtract the total amount of negative charges (electrons) from the total amount of positive charges (protons) in the system. The resulting number will be the net charge.

3. Can an object have a net charge of zero?

Yes, an object can have a net charge of zero if the number of positive and negative charges are equal. This is known as a neutral charge.

4. How is net charge important in chemistry?

Net charge plays a crucial role in determining the chemical properties of elements and compounds. It determines the strength of bonds between atoms and the overall stability of a molecule.

5. What is the significance of net charge in biology?

Net charge is important in biology because it affects the behavior and interactions of molecules in living organisms. It can determine the functionality of proteins and other biomolecules, as well as the overall charge balance within cells.