1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Using the term "net charge"

1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    Hello guy, I have questions with the use of the terms "net charge"
    As far as I know we use net charge when we want to make a sum of positive charge + negative charge

For example the net charge of Na+ = +11+(-10)= +1
    the net charge of Cl- = _______ = -1

But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?
    A proton has a net charge of 2/3e+ 2/3e- ⅓e= +1e (since it is made of quarks)
    A neutron has a net charge of 0 (the same as a proton but the "sum" is zero)
    An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You can indeed.

As far as I know you can. I don't think it makes a difference in the end since your final number is the same. 0e + (-1)e = -1e is the same as -1e.

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3

DrClaude

What does the +0e stand for?

I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

5. Nov 1, 2016 #4

Drakkith

I suppose you could if you separated the unit of charge from the object possessing it, but that likely causes problems.

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    The main reason is that the proton is made up of quarks and the electron is not. (My opinion)

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

jtbell

But what does your +0e stand for, with respect to the electron? An electron has no uncharged component.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted