Vector Analysis using Graphical and Analytical

In summary, a hot air balloon drifts 12km in a direction 70 degrees South of East, followed by a drift of 8.0km in a direction 40 degrees South of West. The net displacement from the starting position after the two drifts can be estimated using both graphical and analytical methods, which involve using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. To begin, draw a diagram of the two drifts as vectors, noting their magnitude and direction.
zbam
1.a A hot air balloon drifts 12km in a direction 70 degrees South of East. An abrupt charge in air movement then comes the balloon 8.0km in a direction 40 degrees South of West. Estimate the record displacement from the starting position after the two drifts. (magnitude & displacement)

1.b A car travels 200 km west, 100km at an angle 60 degrees South of East. What is the net displacement of the car?

2. I will use graphical and for the analytical method, i will use trigonometric function.

3. trigonometric functions-sine, cosine & tangent

Please help me on how to graph it and how to solve for the analytical method. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zbam and welcome to the forums,

Do you have no idea at all of how to start these problems?

thanks, I have no idea, the graphical method is easy but I forgot it.

Okay, the graphical method and the analytical method are very similar (except you need to be more accurate in you sketch for the graphical method). Start by drawing a diagram of what is happening, draw the two drifts as vectors, noting their magnitude as direction.

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and manipulate vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves both graphical and analytical techniques to solve problems involving vectors.

2. How is vector analysis used in science?

Vector analysis is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to represent and analyze physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and electric fields. It is also used to solve problems involving motion, forces, and equilibrium.

3. What are the graphical methods used in vector analysis?

The graphical methods used in vector analysis include vector addition and subtraction, vector components, and vector diagrams. These methods involve drawing and manipulating vectors on a coordinate system to solve problems and visualize the relationships between different vector quantities.

4. What are the analytical methods used in vector analysis?

The analytical methods used in vector analysis include vector algebra, dot and cross products, and vector calculus. These methods involve using mathematical equations and formulas to manipulate and solve problems involving vectors.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has many practical applications in everyday life, such as navigation and mapping, computer graphics, and sports. It is also used in fields like meteorology, where it helps predict and analyze weather patterns, and in robotics, where it is used to program and control the movement of robots.