1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Analysis using Graphical and Analytical

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1
    1.a A hot air balloon drifts 12km in a direction 70 degrees South of East. An abrupt charge in air movement then comes the balloon 8.0km in a direction 40 degrees South of West. Estimate the record displacement from the starting position after the two drifts. (magnitude & displacement)

1.b A car travels 200 km west, 100km at an angle 60 degrees South of East. What is the net displacement of the car?

2. I will use graphical and for the analytical method, i will use trigonometric function.

3. trigonometric functions-sine, cosine & tangent

Please help me on how to graph it and how to solve for the analytical method. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi zbam and welcome to the forums,

Do you have no idea at all of how to start these problems?

4. Jan 1, 2007 #3
    thanks, I have no idea, the graphical method is easy but I forgot it.

5. Jan 1, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the graphical method and the analytical method are very similar (except you need to be more accurate in you sketch for the graphical method). Start by drawing a diagram of what is happening, draw the two drifts as vectors, noting their magnitude as direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?