What is the Derivation of Vector Calculus Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations in a physics problem. The second term of the second equation is equal to the second term of the third equation, as shown through a series of mathematical manipulations.
srvs
Hi,

This is probably really simple but I can't figure out how they go from eq. 2 to eq. 3 here:
http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vcalc.jpg

First term I see, however the - mu / r I don't. Shouldn't this be + (1/2) mu / r?

Asked my professor but he said "just do the derivations". :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Your professor was right. Let's take the second term of the second equation first.

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \frac{\mu}{r^3}\frac{d (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r})}{dt}=\frac{1}{2} \frac{\mu}{r^3}\frac{d r^2}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\mu}{r^3} 2 r \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{\mu}{r^2}\frac{dr}{dt}
[/tex]

Now the second term of the third equation.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{-\mu}{r}=\frac{-1}{r^2}\frac{d-\mu r}{dt}=\frac{\mu}{r^2}\frac{dr}{dt}
[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{\mu}{r^3} \frac{d}{dt}r\cdot r = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\mu}{r^3} \frac{d}{dt}r^2 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\mu}{r^3} 2r \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{\mu}{r^2}\frac{dr}{dt} = -\mu \frac{dr^{-1}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{-\mu}{r} [/tex]

EDIT: Cyosis beat me to it!

Last edited:
Shame on me. Thank you.

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction, known as vectors. It involves the study of vector fields, line and surface integrals, and the concepts of divergence and curl.

What is the purpose of vector calculus?

The purpose of vector calculus is to provide a mathematical framework for studying physical phenomena that involve quantities that vary in space and time. It is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve problems involving vector quantities.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a function that assigns a vector to each point in space. It is often used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, or electric field. Vector fields can be visualized using vector arrows, where the length and direction of the arrow represent the magnitude and direction of the vector at a particular point.

What are line and surface integrals?

Line integrals are used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a curve in space. Surface integrals, on the other hand, are used to calculate the total value of a vector field over a surface in space. These integrals are important in determining physical quantities such as work, flux, and circulation.

What are divergence and curl?

Divergence and curl are two important concepts in vector calculus. Divergence measures the tendency of a vector field to either converge or diverge at a given point. Curl, on the other hand, measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a given point. These concepts are used to analyze and describe the behavior of vector fields in various physical situations.