How Do You Calculate the Effective Speed of a Tailwind for a Westward Cyclist?

In summary, a cyclist traveling west at 5.6m/s encounters a northeast wind blowing at 10m/s. To find the effective speed of the tailwind, the components of the velocities are added together using Pythagorean theorem. The resultant speed is 1.5m/s due to the westward velocity of the cyclist being represented as a negative value.
Coco12

Homework Statement

A cyclist head due west on a straight road at 5.6m/s. A northeast wind is blowing at 10m/s. What is the effective speed of the tailwind?(resultant)

Homework Equations

Cos 45 10
Sin 45 10

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I broke it down into its x and y components. Then added them together to the Rx and Ry and used Pythagorean to find the resultant. I just have one question though: when adding the x components for the wind and the cyclist speed. Would the Rx be -5.6m/s + 7.1( 7.1 is derived from cos 45 degrees *10) = 1.5? Or would the 5.6 be positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:
Would the Rx be -5.6m/s + 7.1( 7.1 is derived from cos 45 degrees *10) = 1.5? Or would the 5.6 be positive?

To help you answer your question, it might help to write out explicit expressions for the vectors representing the cyclist and the wind velocities.

CAF123 said:
To help you answer your question, it might help to write out explicit expressions for the vectors representing the cyclist and the wind velocities.

I did. Rx=ax+bx
Ry=ay +by

I'm just wondering since it's 5.6 m/s due west which on a Cartesian plane would be a negative x whether I would incorporate the negative when trying to find rx

Coco12 said:
I did. Rx=ax+bx
Ry=ay +by

I'm just wondering since it's 5.6 m/s due west which on a Cartesian plane would be a negative x whether I would incorporate the negative when trying to find rx
Yes, you can represent the velocity vector of the cyclist as ##\vec{C} = -5.6 \hat{x}## and that of the wind as ##\vec{W} = (10 \cos 45)\hat{x} + (10 \sin 45) \hat{y}##. Now, as you said, just add components to get the resultant.

From a more conceptual point of view, imagine a game of tug of war. Person A pulls to left with force 5.6N and person B to right with force 10cos45 ≈ 7.1 N. The person pulling to right wins, but only marginally. (winning by 7.1 - 5.6, not 7.1 + 5.6)

Likes 1 person

The Rx would be positive, as the cyclist is traveling in the same direction as the wind, so their velocities would add together. Therefore, the effective speed of the tailwind would be 5.6m/s + 7.1m/s = 12.7m/s. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the vectors when adding them together.

1. What are vector components?

Vector components are the individual parts that make up a vector. They are typically represented by the x and y coordinates in a two-dimensional vector, or by the x, y, and z coordinates in a three-dimensional vector.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector using its components?

The magnitude of a vector is found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual components. In two dimensions, it would be the square root of (x^2 + y^2), and in three dimensions it would be the square root of (x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector components?

Scalar components are quantities that have only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. Vector components, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. How do you add or subtract vector components?

To add or subtract vector components, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, if you have two vectors A and B, their sum would be (Ax + Bx, Ay + By) in two dimensions, or (Ax + Bx, Ay + By, Az + Bz) in three dimensions.

5. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates the direction of the vector. For example, a vector with a negative x component would be pointing in the negative x direction.