Vector displacement problem trouble

In summary, Daniel found the correct answer for the second part of the homework, but misread the first part. He found that the displacement was (3667.4 + 3667.4) + (160) = 3670.9 m.
M1ZeN

Homework Statement

While vacationing in the mountains, you do some hiking. In the morning, your displacement is S-morning = (1600 m, east) + (3300 m, north) + (160 m, vertical). After lunch your displacement is S-afternoon = (1800 m, west) + (2000 m, north) - (350 m, vertical). At the end of the day, how much higher or lower (in m) are compared to your starting point in the morning?

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any other relevant equations that is in the chapter and no examples are given with a third displacement value.

My attempt in the problem using the same method for both the morning values and after lunch values:

(1600)^2 + (3300)^2 = C^2
c = 3667.4 m

then...

(3667.4)^2 + (160)^2 = C^2
c = 3670.9 m

I used the same method for the afternoon values, found the difference between the two (1003.1 m), and it was the incorrect answer.

Thanks,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
In the morning, how much up you go?
In the afternoon, from the above point how much down you go?
So what is the final depth from the starting point?
The other distances are just distractions.

M1ZeN said:

Homework Statement

While vacationing in the mountains, you do some hiking. In the morning, your displacement is S-morning = (1600 m, east) + (3300 m, north) + (160 m, vertical). After lunch your displacement is S-afternoon = (1800 m, west) + (2000 m, north) - (350 m, vertical). At the end of the day, how much higher or lower (in m) are compared to your starting point in the morning?

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any other relevant equations that is in the chapter and no examples are given with a third displacement value.

My attempt in the problem using the same method for both the morning values and after lunch values:

(1600)^2 + (3300)^2 = C^2
c = 3667.4 m

then...

(3667.4)^2 + (160)^2 = C^2
c = 3670.9 m

I used the same method for the afternoon values, found the difference between the two (1003.1 m), and it was the incorrect answer.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel I think you are misreading the problem, they ask for the change in altitude from your starting point. Assuming that is 0m you just need to add or subtract the vertical distances they give you using say 0m as your starting point.

Since they give you the changes in vector form you can call the last piece the z axis or K-hat values of the vector and ignore the other dimensions.

Hope that helps

If it doesn't then this should be your answer
0+ 160m - 350m = -190m so your ending altitude would be 190 m less then your starting point

I found the correct answer for that part. Now the second part has asked me to: What is the magnitude of your net displacement (in km) for the day?

I went back to the method I used and just added the separate values for both morning and afternoon. It was the incorrect answer but I figured what I did was reasonable enough to try to find an answer.

Project every displacement on the single plane, then find the net x, y component. z component is known. Find net displacement.

Related to Vector displacement problem trouble

1. What is a vector displacement problem?

A vector displacement problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the change in position or direction of an object in a given system. It requires knowledge of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I solve a vector displacement problem?

To solve a vector displacement problem, you need to first identify the initial and final positions of the object, as well as the direction and magnitude of its displacement. Then, use vector addition or subtraction to find the resultant vector, which represents the overall displacement of the object.

3. What are some common applications of vector displacement problems?

Vector displacement problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to calculate the displacement of an object in motion, the forces acting on an object, or the position of an object relative to a reference point.

4. What are the key components of a vector displacement problem?

The key components of a vector displacement problem include the initial and final positions of the object, the direction and magnitude of its displacement, and any other relevant vectors or forces acting on the object. These components must be accurately identified and represented in order to solve the problem correctly.

5. What are some common errors to watch out for when solving a vector displacement problem?

Some common errors to watch out for when solving a vector displacement problem include using the wrong units, forgetting to account for the direction of vectors, and making mistakes in vector addition or subtraction. It's important to double check all calculations and make sure all vectors are represented accurately in order to avoid these errors.