Vector equation of a plane

So, in summary, you are asked to write a vector and parametric equation for a plane that contains the point (-5,9,-3), is parallel to the lines defined by [x,y,z] = [1, -2, 7] + s[4, -1, -3] and [x,y,z] = [7,-2,15] + t[1,6,-8]. To do this, you can use the vector form for a plane and plug in the given values for the point and the direction vectors of the lines. This will give you the desired vector and parametric equations.
DespicableMe

Homework Statement

Write a vector and parametric equation for a plane that:

b) contains (-5,9,-3) and is parallel to [x,y,z] = [1, -2, 7] + s[4, -1, -3] and

[x,y,z] = [7,-2,15] + t[1,6,-8]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start. Usually, when asking for parallel lines, I find if the direction vectors are scalar multiples of each other, then I find out if s and t have the same value for all x y and z.

I'm confused about planes.
What they had as the answer was the exact same direction vectors s and t, and then the point given as r nought.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector form for a plane is
[tex]\vec{r}= (x_0+ As+ Bt)\vec{i}+ (y_0+ Cs+ Dt)\vec{j}+ (z_0+ Es+ Ft)\vec{k}[/tex]
where [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is any point in the plane and
[tex]A\vec{i}+ C\vec{j}+ E\vec{k}[/tex]
and
[tex]B\vec{i}+ D\vec{j}+ F\vex{k}[/tex]
are two vectors in the plane.

In your question, you are given all three of those things.

1. What is a vector equation of a plane?

A vector equation of a plane is an equation that represents a plane in three-dimensional space using vectors. It is typically written in the form r = r0 + sa + tb, where r0 is a point on the plane, a and b are two vectors parallel to the plane, and s and t are parameters.

2. How is a vector equation of a plane different from a scalar equation?

A scalar equation of a plane only includes the x, y, and z coordinates, while a vector equation also includes the direction and magnitude of the plane. This allows for more flexibility in representing the plane, as it can be translated and rotated in space.

3. How do you find the normal vector of a plane using its vector equation?

The normal vector of a plane can be found by taking the cross product of the two vectors, a and b, in the vector equation. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the plane, and its direction will indicate which side of the plane it is facing.

4. Can a vector equation of a plane be written in different forms?

Yes, a vector equation of a plane can also be written in the form n · (r - r0) = 0, where n is the normal vector and r0 is a point on the plane. This form is known as the Cartesian form.

5. How is the vector equation of a plane used in real-world applications?

The vector equation of a plane is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects. It is also used in aircraft navigation and satellite technology for determining flight paths and orbits.