Vector (i-j=k): Why Does MA=i+j+k?

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the vector MA becomes (i+j+k) as a result of the calculations (i-j)\times (i+j)=2k and -j X i=k, which add up to a total of 2k. The correct answer is actually half of the shown result.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

I can't understand why the vector MA finally become (i+j+k) ?? is it beacuse of (i-j ) becomes k ??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• kgk.png
    kgk.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,069
Physics news on Phys.org
That's wrong!
[itex]
(i-j)\times (i+j)=\underbrace{i\times i}_0+i \times j- j\times i-\underbrace{ j \times j}_0=i\times j+i\times j=2 i \times j=2 k
[/itex]

Likes desmond iking
Shyan said:
That's wrong!
[itex]
(i-j)\times (i+j)=\underbrace{i\times i}_0+i \times j- j\times i-\underbrace{ j \times j}_0=i\times j+i\times j=2 i \times j=2 k
[/itex]
It's wrong before that, even.
##\vec P = P(\vec j -\vec k)/\sqrt 2##
Alternatively, by calculating the distance from A to the line of P the moment is seen to have magnitude ##aP\sqrt {\frac 32}##. I believe the correct answer is exactly half that shown.

Likes theodoros.mihos and desmond iking
-j X i=k
That k and the other normal one from i x j=k, add up to 2k.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. Vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement and forces acting on objects.

2. What does the notation "i-j=k" mean in this context?

The notation "i-j=k" represents a vector with three components: i, j, and k. "i" represents the vector's magnitude in the x-direction, "j" represents the magnitude in the y-direction, and "k" represents the magnitude in the z-direction. This notation is commonly used in three-dimensional coordinate systems to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector.

3. Why is MA equal to i+j+k?

In this context, MA stands for the magnitude of the vector. The magnitude of a vector is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Since i, j, and k represent the magnitude in the x, y, and z directions respectively, the sum of these components results in the magnitude of the vector.

4. How is a vector represented visually?

A vector is represented visually by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector. The direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector in relation to the coordinate system being used.

5. What is the significance of the "i-j=k" notation in vector notation?

The "i-j=k" notation is significant in vector notation because it allows for the representation of vectors in three-dimensional space. By assigning components to the x, y, and z directions, the notation makes it possible to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in three-dimensional coordinate systems.