Solving Vector Components: East-West and North-South Directions

• Thread starter mandi182
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the x and y components of a person's displacement on a map. The person drives 47 km west and then 156 km south. The solution involves considering the x-axis as east-west and the y-axis as north-south, and drawing a sketch to determine the components.
mandi182
Vectors (HELP!)

Homework Statement

Consider a map oriented so that the x-axis runs east*west (with east being the “positive” direction), and y runs north*south (with north “positive”). A person drives 47 km to the west, then turns and drives 156 km towards the south.

Find x and y components

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this, I having been trying for 3 hours! I am not sure how to start.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think your question is to find the x and y components of the resultant displacement. Is that the entire question? Start by drawing a sketch. The answer may be staring you in the face.

This is a relatively easy question,

if x = the line of east and west than a person that drives west is also driving in the x direction

if y = the line of north and south than a person that drives south is also driving in the y direction

i think that's enough clue, now figure the signs by yourself

Thanks, I figured it out. It was really easy and it really was staring me in the face!

I understand that solving vector components can be a challenging task. However, with the right approach, it can be easily solved. In this case, we have a person who drives 47 km to the west and then turns and drives 156 km towards the south. This can be represented as a vector with an initial point at the starting point and a terminal point at the final destination.

To solve for the x and y components, we can use basic trigonometric principles. Since the person drove to the west, we can represent this as a negative value on the x-axis. Similarly, since the person drove towards the south, we can represent this as a negative value on the y-axis. Therefore, the x-component would be -47 km and the y-component would be -156 km.

To find the magnitude and direction of this vector, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse trigonometric functions. The magnitude can be calculated as √(x^2 + y^2), which in this case would be √(47^2 + 156^2) = 161.96 km. The direction can be calculated as tan^-1(y/x), which in this case would be tan^-1(-156/-47) = 73.5° south of west.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding how to solve vector components in the east-west and north-south directions. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller components and use basic trigonometric principles to solve for the x and y components. Good luck!

What do vectors represent?

Vectors represent a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In physics, they are often used to describe the movement of objects.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same direction. Then, you can simply add their magnitudes and keep the direction of the larger vector.

What is the difference between scalars and vectors?

Scalars represent quantities that have only magnitude, while vectors have both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar because it only tells us the magnitude of an object's movement, while velocity is a vector because it includes both the speed and direction.

How do you find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometry. You can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis.

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in vectors?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vectors, this theorem can be used to find the magnitude of a resultant vector by using the x and y components of the vector and applying the theorem to find the hypotenuse.