1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vectors (HELP )

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    Vectors (HELP!!!!!!!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a map oriented so that the x axis runs east*west (with east being the “positive” direction), and y runs north*south (with north “positive”). A person drives 47 km to the west, then turns and drives 156 km towards the south.

Find x and y components

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to solve this, I having been trying for 3 hours! I am not sure how to start.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Vectors (HELP!!!!!!!!)

I think your question is to find the x and y components of the resultant displacement. Is that the entire question? Start by drawing a sketch. The answer may be staring you in the face.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3

This is a relatively easy question,

if x = the line of east and west than a person that drives west is also driving in the x direction

if y = the line of north and south than a person that drives south is also driving in the y direction

i think that's enough clue, now figure the signs by yourself

5. Sep 6, 2010 #4

Thanks, I figured it out. It was really easy and it really was staring me in the face!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook