Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vectors (HELP )

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    Vectors (HELP!!!!!!!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a map oriented so that the x axis runs east*west (with east being the “positive” direction), and y runs north*south (with north “positive”). A person drives 47 km to the west, then turns and drives 156 km towards the south.

Find x and y components

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to solve this, I having been trying for 3 hours! I am not sure how to start.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Vectors (HELP!!!!!!!!)

I think your question is to find the x and y components of the resultant displacement. Is that the entire question? Start by drawing a sketch. The answer may be staring you in the face.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3

This is a relatively easy question,

if x = the line of east and west than a person that drives west is also driving in the x direction

if y = the line of north and south than a person that drives south is also driving in the y direction

i think that's enough clue, now figure the signs by yourself

5. Sep 6, 2010 #4

Thanks, I figured it out. It was really easy and it really was staring me in the face!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook