Vectors Homework: Displacement & Direction at 80°

In summary: The vector sum of these two vectors is the vector pointing from the ground to the friend.In summary, Betty starts the Ferris wheel ride at the bottom and it rotates counterclockwise, displacing her horizontally. The direction of her displacement vector is measured counterclockwise from the horizontal.
Rob123456789

Homework Statement

You go to an amusement park with your friend Betty, who wants to ride the 90-m-diameter Ferris wheel. She starts the ride at the lowest point of a wheel that, as you face it, rotates counterclockwise.

What is the magnitude of her displacement vector when the wheel has rotated by an angle of 80 ∘?
and
What is the direction of her displacement vector when the wheel has rotated by an angle of80 ∘, measured counterclockwise from the horizontal?

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to do this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing 45tan(80), but its gives me a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are comparing two points in a circle of radius 45 m (take the centre of the wheel to be the origin). Write their Cartesian coordinates and take the difference: that will be your displacement vector.

My hint would be to draw a sketch of the situation. In the sketch, show the Ferris wheel, the displacement vector, and the 80o angle.

You can use the sketch as an aid to carrying out Lucas' approach. Or, you might be able to get the magnitude of the displacement with a little trig applied to the sketch.

Yes, I am trying to do it with trig, but it seems to give me a wrong answer?

Can you guys show me how to do it with trig? I feel like I'm just stuck.

Consider the triangle with the following vertices: the centre of the wheel, Betty's initial point and Betty's final point. You know one of the angles and you know two of the side lengths. Note that it is not a right angle triangle.

If you make a sketch of this triangle and use some trig knowledge you should be able to find the magnitude.

I keep getting √(52.8)^2+(44)^2 = 69 , but it's telling me I am wrong ? I added both of the vectors's components...

Rob123456789 said:
I added both of the vectors's components...
which vectors?

The (0,45) and (7.8,44) calculated from trig

Rob123456789 said:
Can you describe what the first vector (0, 45) represents? Is it the vector drawn from the initial location of Betty to the center of the Ferris wheel?
Likewise, what does the vector (7.8,44) represent?

Rob123456789 said:
Adding these components should give the right displacement vector. I think you messed up on adding the components, so you got the wrong magnitude.

Check to see if you might have the x and y components interchanged in (7.8, 44) and check the signs of the components.

Likes Rob123456789 and Lucas SV
Toss Cartesia.

A line joining two points on a circle is called a chord. The length of a chord can be determined by joining the two endpoints to the center of the circle - thus forming an isosceles triangle - and applying some trigonometry.

Last edited:
Likes Lucas SV
You'd get an Issoceles triangle with sides of 45 m with an angle of 80 degrees between them. Using the cosine rule, you should get an answer of 57.85 m. I hope this helps.

Rob123456789 said:
Yes, I am trying to do it with trig, but it seems to give me a wrong answer?

I would suggest you avoid as much trig as you can; you will need some, of course, but do NOT make this an exercise in trigonometric manipulations and trig function properties, or a problem in Euclidean geometry. The problem is about finding a vector, and is (I bet) designed to help you think about vectors and how to use them. There are well-structured methods for doing that, and these become straightforward with a bit of practice. This exercise is about getting some of that practice.

Here you have two vectors: (i) a vector pointing vertically upward, from the ground to the center of the carousel; and (ii) a vector pointing from the center of the carousel to the position of your friend. Their vector sum gives you the vector pointing from the ground to your friend, and that is what you want to find.

1. What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is different from a scalar, which only has magnitude. For example, a vector can represent the displacement of an object, while a scalar can represent the distance traveled by the object.

2. What is displacement and how is it different from distance?

Displacement is the change in position of an object, measured in a straight line from its starting point to its ending point. It is different from distance, which is the actual amount of ground covered by the object. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

3. What does 80° direction mean in relation to displacement?

80° direction refers to the angle between the displacement vector and a reference axis. In this case, the reference axis could be a horizontal or vertical line. The direction at 80° means that the displacement vector is pointing in a direction that is 80° from the reference axis.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the vector. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using trigonometry, where the magnitude is equal to the length of the hypotenuse formed by the angle of the vector and the horizontal and vertical components.

5. Can a displacement vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a displacement vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is a measure of size and is always positive. However, a displacement vector can have a negative direction, which indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference axis.