1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors in different planes add up to give a zero resultant?

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. three
    2. four
    vectors in different planes add up to give a zero resultant?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

1. suppose that we resolve the 3 vectors in i,j,k components. Putting each one of them zero in the respective three vectors to make them in 3 separate plane. Cant they be zero?
    2. similar as above. the only thing is that the fourth vector has none of its components zero.

Am I right?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2
    pl reply me
  4. May 10, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Hi xphloem,

For #1, were you thinking of something like this:

\vec A &= (1,1,0)\nonumber\\
    \vec B &= (-1,0,1)\nonumber\\
    \vec C &= (0,-1,-1)\nonumber

They definitely add to zero, but they are in a single plane, so they don't satisfy the requirements of the problem.

For this problem: if you start with any two vectors, they define a plane. Then you want a third vector that is not in that same plane. Can those add to zero?
  5. May 12, 2008 #4
    How can all of them be in one plane
    the first on is in xy plane
    second one in xz plane
    and the third in yz plane
    am I wrong?
  6. May 12, 2008 #5
    The three (essentially only 2) vectors A, B and C together form a 'new' plane, not like the xy, xz or yz plane, but you can also have a 'crooked' plane for example. Then they are still in the same plane, even though the plane is not the xy, yz or zx plane..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?