1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors (Intersecting Lines)

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is taken from STEP II 2003 Q5.

The position vectors of the points A, B and P with respect to an origin O are ai , bj and li + mj + nk , respectively, where a, b, and n are all non-zero. The points E, F, G and H are the midpoints of OA, BP, OB and AP, respectively. Show that the lines EF and GH intersect.

Let D be the point with position vector dk, where d is non-zero, and let S be the point of intersection of EF and GH. The point T is such that the mid-point of DT is S. Find the position vector of T and hence find d in terms of n if T lies in the plane OAB.

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't seem to make any headway with this at all, some guidance would be appreciated. There's a solution given which I don't understand:

I agree with E = a/2.

I don't understand how F = (p+b)/2. If OB + BP = OP, then BP = OP - OB, so F = ½BP = ½(p-b), not ½(p+b)?

I agree with G = b/2.

I don't understand how H = (p+a)/2, for the same reason that I don't agree with F = (p+b)/2. Can anyone help?

I must be doing something very wrong because I am getting that EF and GH are identical (so intersect everywhere).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does that mean? In the statement of the problem, above, you use bold face to mean vectors but the only "a" given is a number, not a vector.

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Apologies, I didn't make it clear -- a in non-bold text is just the constant a, whereas a or p indicate the vectors OA or OP.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look at an example. If B= (1, 0, 0) and P= (0, 1, 0) the the point half way between them is the "average" ((1+0)/2, (0+1)/2, (0+0)/2)= (1/2, 1/2, 0). The vector form would be <1/2, 1/2, 0>= (1/2)<1, 0, 0>+ (1/2)<0, 1, 0>.

The difficulty with your reasoning is that "(1/2)BP" is NOT the vector from O to that midpoint. Yes, we can think of BP as a vector from B to P and (1/2)BP as a vector from B to the midpoint of BP. To represent (1/2)BP as a vector from O, we have to add B: <1, 0, 0>+ <-1/2, 1/2, 0>= <1/2, 1/2, 0>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted