Vectors (Intersecting Lines)

Similarly, (1/2)p is the vector from O to the midpoint of OP. To represent "the point half way between A and the origin" as a vector from O, we have to add "the origin" (0, 0, 0): <1/2, 0, 0>+ <0, 1/2, 0>= <1/2, 1/2, 0>.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is taken from STEP II 2003 Q5.

The position vectors of the points A, B and P with respect to an origin O are ai , bj and li + mj + nk , respectively, where a, b, and n are all non-zero. The points E, F, G and H are the midpoints of OA, BP, OB and AP, respectively. Show that the lines EF and GH intersect.

Let D be the point with position vector dk, where d is non-zero, and let S be the point of intersection of EF and GH. The point T is such that the mid-point of DT is S. Find the position vector of T and hence find d in terms of n if T lies in the plane OAB.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to make any headway with this at all, some guidance would be appreciated. There's a solution given which I don't understand:

E = a/2, F = (p+b)/2, G = b/2, H = (p+a)/2 =>
EF = a/2+x[p+b-a]/2
GH= b/2+y[p+a-b]/2
for which there is a solution EF = GH = (p+a+b)/4 when x = y = 1/2
so we have s = (d+t)/2 = (p+a+b)/4 so the position vector of T is t = (p+a+b)/2-d
the plane OAB is the x-y plane i.e. z = 0 so the component of T in the k direction is 0, so considering the vectors in the k direction we have: 0 = n/2-d <=> d = n/2

I agree with E = a/2.

I don't understand how F = (p+b)/2. If OB + BP = OP, then BP = OP - OB, so F = ½BP = ½(p-b), not ½(p+b)?

I agree with G = b/2.

I don't understand how H = (p+a)/2, for the same reason that I don't agree with F = (p+b)/2. Can anyone help?

I must be doing something very wrong because I am getting that EF and GH are identical (so intersect everywhere).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:

Homework Statement

This is taken from STEP II 2003 Q5.

The position vectors of the points A, B and P with respect to an origin O are ai , bj and li + mj + nk , respectively, where a, b, and n are all non-zero. The points E, F, G and H are the midpoints of OA, BP, OB and AP, respectively. Show that the lines EF and GH intersect.

Let D be the point with position vector dk, where d is non-zero, and let S be the point of intersection of EF and GH. The point T is such that the mid-point of DT is S. Find the position vector of T and hence find d in terms of n if T lies in the plane OAB.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to make any headway with this at all, some guidance would be appreciated. There's a solution given which I don't understand:

I agree with E = a/2.
What does that mean? In the statement of the problem, above, you use bold face to mean vectors but the only "a" given is a number, not a vector.

I don't understand how F = (p+b)/2. If OB + BP = OP, then BP = OP - OB, so F = ½BP = ½(p-b), not ½(p+b)?

I agree with G = b/2.

I don't understand how H = (p+a)/2, for the same reason that I don't agree with F = (p+b)/2. Can anyone help?

I must be doing something very wrong because I am getting that EF and GH are identical (so intersect everywhere).

Apologies, I didn't make it clear -- a in non-bold text is just the constant a, whereas a or p indicate the vectors OA or OP.

Look at an example. If B= (1, 0, 0) and P= (0, 1, 0) the the point half way between them is the "average" ((1+0)/2, (0+1)/2, (0+0)/2)= (1/2, 1/2, 0). The vector form would be <1/2, 1/2, 0>= (1/2)<1, 0, 0>+ (1/2)<0, 1, 0>.

The difficulty with your reasoning is that "(1/2)BP" is NOT the vector from O to that midpoint. Yes, we can think of BP as a vector from B to P and (1/2)BP as a vector from B to the midpoint of BP. To represent (1/2)BP as a vector from O, we have to add B: <1, 0, 0>+ <-1/2, 1/2, 0>= <1/2, 1/2, 0>.

1. What are vectors and how are they related to intersecting lines?

Vectors are mathematical objects that represent both magnitude and direction. In the context of intersecting lines, vectors are used to describe the direction and distance between two intersecting lines.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines using vectors?

To find the intersection point of two lines using vectors, you first need to find two directional vectors for each line. Then, set up a system of equations using the coordinates of the two lines and the directional vectors. Solve the system of equations to find the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Can vectors be used to determine if two lines are parallel or perpendicular?

Yes, vectors can be used to determine if two lines are parallel or perpendicular. If the directional vectors of two lines are parallel, then the lines are parallel. If the dot product of the two directional vectors is zero, then the lines are perpendicular.

4. What are the different types of vector operations used in intersecting lines?

The main vector operations used in intersecting lines are addition, subtraction, and the dot product. Addition and subtraction are used to find the directional vectors of two intersecting lines, while the dot product is used to determine if the lines are parallel or perpendicular.

5. Can vectors be used to represent other types of intersecting objects besides lines?

Yes, vectors can be used to represent other types of intersecting objects such as planes, curves, and surfaces. In these cases, the vectors describe the direction and distance between the intersecting objects.