Finding the Tension of a Guy Wire Supporting a 100ft Tower

In summary: Yes, that is correct. In summary, the tension of the guy wire supporting a 100ft tower is 550lbs, and the component form of the vector representing the tension is <-75,50,100>. To determine the magnitude of the vector, it can be simplified to 25sqrt(29), and to get 550lbs, it must be multiplied by approximately 4.08.
yazz912
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1392759383.391314.jpg

1. Given info ( with attached photo)
The guy wire supporting a 100ft tower has a tension of 550lbs. Use the distance shown in the figure write the component form of the vector F representing the tension of the wire.

2. My attempt at the solution
My first assumption was to make a vector using an initial and a terminal point. I used (75,-50,0) initial point and (0,0,100) as my terminal point.

The vector in component form would then be <-75,50,100>

Now I don't know what to do next with the given information of the tension force of 550pounds to find the tension of the wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
yazz912 said:
View attachment 66755

1. Given info ( with attached photo)
The guy wire supporting a 100ft tower has a tension of 550lbs. Use the distance shown in the figure write the component form of the vector F representing the tension of the wire.

2. My attempt at the solution
My first assumption was to make a vector using an initial and a terminal point. I used (75,-50,0) initial point and (0,0,100) as my terminal point.

The vector in component form would then be <-75,50,100>

Now I don't know what to do next with the given information of the tension force of 550pounds to find the tension of the wire?
Hello yazz912. Welcome to PF !

I see that you are new here. In the future, please make use of the template which is provided when you initiate a new thread. You'll get the hang of it.

Regarding your posted question:

What is the magnitude of the vector, <-75,50,100> ?

I apologize. I didn't see the template option when I was posting?( was using the mobile app if that makes a difference)

The magnitude would simplify to
= 25sqrt(29)

yazz912 said:
I apologize. I didn't see the template option when I was posting?( was using the mobile app if that makes a difference)
Yes, I think that may make a difference.

The magnitude would simplify to
= 25sqrt(29)

What must you multiply 25√(29) by to get 500 ?

Am I suppose to find out what to multiply by to get 500 or 550?( since 550 was the tension)

To answer your question, you must multiply by approx. 3.71 to get 500.

yazz912 said:
Am I suppose to find out what to multiply by to get 500 or 550?( since 550 was the tension)

To answer your question, you must multiply by approx. 3.71 to get 500.
Oh, that's a typo.

You need to get 550 .

So 4.08?

1. What are guy wires and why are they used on towers?

Guy wires are strong cables or ropes that are attached to a tower and anchored to the ground. They are used to provide stability and support to the tower, especially in areas with high winds or heavy loads.

2. How do guy wires affect the stability of a tower?

By anchoring the tower to the ground, guy wires help distribute the weight and stress of the tower, making it more stable. They also help prevent the tower from swaying or bending in strong winds.

3. What is the role of vectors in guy wires?

Vectors are used to represent the forces acting on a guy wire. They show the direction and magnitude of the tension force in the wire, which is crucial in determining the stability of the tower.

4. How are guy wires attached to a tower?

Guy wires are typically attached to the tower at multiple points, usually at different heights. These attachment points are strategically placed to provide the most stability and support to the tower.

5. What factors should be considered when designing guy wires for a tower?

The design of guy wires for a tower depends on various factors, including the height and weight of the tower, the location and terrain of the site, and the expected wind and weather conditions. The materials and tension of the guy wires also need to be carefully chosen to ensure the stability and safety of the tower.