Velocity and Forces: Find Time for 15 m/s Speed

In summary: The graph shows his speed increasing, so he's accelerating upwards. Therefore the bar must be exerting a greater force on him than his weight.In summary, the given conversation discusses a question involving a time-dependent force applied to a 2.00 kg object initially at rest. The participants discuss different methods for finding the time at which the object will be moving with a speed of 15.0 m/s, including calculating the time using the equation vf = vi + at and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the speed as a function of time. The conversation also includes a discussion on determining whether the acceleration in a given scenario is constant or not, and a question about finding the force exerted by a chin-up bar on a
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

time-dependent force, [tex]\vec{}F[/tex]= (8.60i - 4.20tj) N (where t is in seconds) is applied to a 2.00 kg object initially at rest.

(a) At what time will the object be moving with a speed of 15.0 m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = ma
[tex]\sqrt{8.6^2 + (4.20t)^2}[/tex] = 2a
a = [tex]\sqrt{8.6^2 + (4.20t)^2}[/tex] / 2

vf = vi +at
15 = 0 + [[tex]\sqrt{8.6^2 + (4.20t)^2}[/tex] / 2]t

this should be an easy question but I can't get the correct answer as 2.86s from the equations above, I can't figure out the reason. hope someone could enlighten me

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the last calculation.
Square both side.
225*4 = [8.6^2 + 4.2^2*t^2]*t^2
Solve for t.

rl.bhat said:
Check the last calculation.
Square both side.
225*4 = [8.6^2 + 4.2^2*t^2]*t^2
Solve for t.

Hi,

I think even we square both side, the answer is still incorrect. you will get 2.36s but the answer is 2.86s.

I think the problem is because the vf = vi +at, gives you the instantaneous velocity yet the question requires you to find speed.

does it make sense? please advise, thank you.

Your method works only if the velocity is in the same direction as the acceleration at all times. This is not the case here because the x-component of the acceleration is constant while the y-component changes with time. You need to calculate vx(t) and vy(t) separately, then apply the Pythagorean theorem to get the speed as a function of time.

The problem is that vf = vi + at applies to constant acceleration, which this is not. (Integrate each component separately.)

kuruman said:
Your method works only if the velocity is in the same direction as the acceleration at all times. This is not the case here because the x-component of the acceleration is constant while the y-component changes with time. You need to calculate vx(t) and vy(t) separately, then apply the Pythagorean theorem to get the speed as a function of time.

Hi,

so what method should I use for the Vy?
however, I could still using vf = vi +at for Vx since it is a constant acceleration?
I was wondering the v in the equation above is for instantaneous velocity yet the question is asking about speed.

MechaMZ said:
I was wondering the v in the equation above is for instantaneous velocity yet the question is asking about speed.
That's not an issue. The instantaneous speed is just the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity.

Hi Doc,

How about the question below, was the elevator accelerating with a constant value or not? may i know how did you know the a is constant or not?

A 79.0 kg man stands on a spring scale in an elevator. Starting from rest, the elevator ascends, attaining its maximum speed of 1.82 m/s in 0.500 s. It travels with this constant speed for the next 5.00 s. The elevator then undergoes a uniform acceleration in the negative y direction for 1.60 s and comes to rest.

any clue so that i could know the elevator is accelerating with a constant or not a constant value during the first 0.5s?

thank you

MechaMZ said:
any clue so that i could know the elevator is accelerating with a constant or not a constant value during the first 0.5s?
Unless you are given information to the contrary, I would just assume that all accelerations are constant.

but if i take 1.82/0.5 is the instantaneous acceleration or average acceleration or constant acceleration for each second from 0m/s to 1.82m/s?

MechaMZ said:
but if i take 1.82/0.5 is the instantaneous acceleration or average acceleration or constant acceleration for each second from 0m/s to 1.82m/s?
If you assume that the acceleration is constant, then all three of those are the same! (Since Vf = Vi + at.)

argh, how about this question, why all my assumptions are wrong regarding the acceleration, force and velocity.

The figure below shows the speed of a person's body as he does a chin-up. Assume the motion is vertical and the mass of the person's body is 68.0 kg.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5012/p527.gif

(a) time zero
correct answer is 687 N, but i thought it should be 68x9.81=667.08

why?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say what the question is, but 68*9.81 N is the answer to "What is the person's weight?".

Last edited:
MechaMZ said:
argh, how about this question, why all my assumptions are wrong regarding the acceleration, force and velocity.
You didn't tell us your assumptions, so we can't say what's wrong.
(a) time zero
Please post the exact question and your reasoning. I suspect the question asks for the force he exerts on the bar during the initial portion of the chin up. Since he's accelerating, the force must be greater than just his weight.

Hi Doc,

the question is "Determine the force exerted by the chin-up bar on his body at the following times."

(a) time zero

I was thinking when the time is zero, the velocity(movement) is zero. so there is no any upwards resultant force. I assume the T-mg = 0, so T = mg - 68* 9.81.

please give me some clue on this, thank you =)

The velocity may be zero, but his acceleration is not. Can you read the acceleration from the graph?

MechaMZ said:
Hi Doc,

the question is "Determine the force exerted by the chin-up bar on his body at the following times."

(a) time zero

I was thinking when the time is zero, the velocity(movement) is zero. so there is no any upwards resultant force. I assume the T-mg = 0, so T = mg - 68* 9.81.
The question is somewhat poorly worded. When he's just hanging, before he starts his chinup, the force exerted by the chinup bar equals his weight. But you need to base your answer on the given diagram. (Note that they don't show the time before he starts pulling.) They are treating t = 0 as when he's already started pulling. A better way to phrase the question would have been: Determine the force exerted by the bar immediately after he starts the chinup.

i see, so there is an acceleration.

1. What is velocity and how is it different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both speed and direction, whereas speed is a scalar quantity that only describes how fast an object is moving.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is V = ∆x/∆t, where V is velocity, ∆x is displacement, and ∆t is time.

3. What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is commonly expressed in miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s).

4. How does force affect velocity?

Force is a vector quantity that describes the interaction between objects and can cause changes in an object's velocity. If a force is applied in the same direction as an object's velocity, it will increase the object's speed. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it can decrease the object's speed or even cause it to change direction.

5. How can you find the time it takes for an object to reach a speed of 15 m/s?

To find the time it takes for an object to reach a speed of 15 m/s, you can use the formula t = v/a, where t is time, v is the final velocity (15 m/s), and a is the acceleration. If the acceleration is not given, you can use the formula t = ∆v/a, where ∆v is the change in velocity and a is the acceleration.