Velocity and frequency of standing waves, number of nodes

In summary, an oscillating string with a mass of 0.03 kg and length of 2 m is fixed at one end and driven by an oscillator at the other end. This induces traveling waves on the string, which are reflected back as standing waves. The equations for these waves are y=A sin (kx-ωt) and y=Asin (kx+ωt). To find the velocity of the waves, you can use the equation for linear density (µ = m/L) and solve for tension. Then, use the equation v = √(T/µ) to find the velocity. To determine the frequency required for a wave with 4 nodes, you can use the equation f = n *
maiamorbific

Homework Statement

A string of mass .03 kg and length 2 m is fixed at one end, and driven with an oscillator at the other end. The oscillator induces traveling waves on the string of the form y=A sin (kx-ωt) which traveled down the string, hit the fixed end, and get reflected back as a wave with the form y=Asin (kx+ωt).
I'm asked to find the a.) velocity of the waves, b.)frequency required to generate a wave with 4 nodes, and c.) derive a general equation for standing waves on a string using the two above equations.

Homework Equations

m = 0.03 kg and L = 2 m
λ = 2L = 4 m
k = 2π/λ = π/2
µ = m/L = 0.015 kg/m

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) All the equations I know to find velocity involve either tension or frequency or another variable that I don't have. How do I find the velocity with what I'm given?

b.) I think that 4 nodes is the 2nd harmonic frequency (?) where n=2 in the equation
f = n * (v/2L). Is this right? If so, I can easily find it when I have the answer for velocity.

c.) I think that for this part, I just add the two equations together. I'd call one y1 and the other y2. y1 + y2 = general equation?
[sin a + sin ß = 2 sin ((a+ß)/2) cos ((a-ß)/2)]

My main question is for the (a) part.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you use sum of the forces = tension - (mg) = 0?
Then I'd solve for tension and use the linear density found above to calculate the velocity.
I think.

What is the relationship between velocity and frequency of standing waves?

The velocity of a standing wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the velocity also increases.

What is the concept of nodes in standing waves?

Nodes are points in a standing wave where there is no motion. These are the points where the amplitude of the wave is always zero.

How does the number of nodes affect the wavelength of a standing wave?

The number of nodes in a standing wave is directly proportional to the wavelength. This means that as the number of nodes increases, the wavelength also increases.

Can the number of nodes in a standing wave change?

Yes, the number of nodes in a standing wave can change. This can happen if the frequency or velocity of the wave changes, or if the medium through which the wave is traveling changes.

What is the significance of the velocity and frequency of standing waves?

The velocity and frequency of standing waves are important because they determine the properties of the wave, such as its wavelength and amplitude. They also play a role in the formation of nodes and antinodes in the wave.