Velocity and Friction Question

In summary, the question asks for the initial velocity of an object that takes 18m to stop due to friction, assuming no skidding. The coefficient of static friction is given as 0.35. To find the initial velocity, Newton's second law can be applied to find an expression for force, and the friction equation can be used to find another expression for force. This will lead to a numerical expression for acceleration and ultimately the initial velocity. However, the concept of "stopping without skidding" may require further clarification.
AshNZ

Homework Statement

An object takes 18m to stop due to friction. Assume no skidding. If the coefficient of static friction is 0.35, what is the initial velocity of the object?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked at the Normal vs Frictional force equation and I have looked at the three equations involving initial, final velocity and acceleration. I've gone through my notes and skimmed through couple of other book but now help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply Newton's second Law to find an expression for Force, and apply your friction equation to find another expression for Force.

There will be unknown variables, but you will be able to find a numerical expression for acceleration, and hence a numerical answer for initial velocity.

However, I am not quite sure what is meant by 'stopping without skidding' unless it is a rotating object.

Based on the given information, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance. In this case, we know that v = 0 m/s (since the object has stopped) and a = -0.35g (since the object is being decelerated by friction). We also know that s = 18m. So the equation becomes 0^2 = u^2 + 2(-0.35g)(18m). Solving for u, we get u = √(0.35g*18m) = 6.07 m/s. Therefore, the initial velocity of the object was 6.07 m/s.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two objects in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces of the objects rubbing against each other.

4. How does friction affect velocity?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down and decreasing its velocity. The amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the force pushing the objects together.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smooth surfaces, decreasing the force pushing the objects together, or by reducing the contact surface area between the objects. This can help increase an object's velocity and decrease the amount of energy needed for motion.