Velocity & Radius of Electron Beam in Magnetic Fields

In summary, the velocity of an electron beam that is undeflected and has a magnetic field of 8.8x10^3 V/m and 3.5x10^.9T is 2.51x10^-6 m/s.
jena
Hi,

My Question:

What is the velocity of a beam of electrons taht go undeflected and magnetic fields of magnitude 8.8 x 10^3 V/m and 3.5 x 10^.9 T, respectively? what is the radius of the electron orbit if the electric field is turned off?

My Work:

V= E/B
V=(8.8 x 10^3 V/m)/(3.5 x 10^.9 T)
V=2.51 x 10^-6 m/s

and for the radius

r=mv/qB
r=(9.11 X 10^-31 kg)(2.51 x 10^-6 m/s)/(1.6 x 10^-19 coul)(3.5 x 10^-3 T)
r= .004m

Are these correct :confused:

Thank You :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jena said:
My Question:

What is the velocity of a beam of electrons taht go undeflected and magnetic fields of magnitude 8.8 x 10^3 V/m and 3.5 x 10^.9 T, respectively? what is the radius of the electron orbit if the electric field is turned off?

My Work:

V= E/B
V=(8.8 x 10^3 V/m)/(3.5 x 10^.9 T)
V=2.51 x 10^-6 m/s
If B = 3.5 x 10^9 T (not 10^.9), and there is an electric field of 8.8e3 V/m, both perpendicular to the direction of v, and to each other, your answer is correct, although that seems like a very slow electron beam (it is very strong magnetic field). I would check the given values again. (You are using 3.5 x 10^-3 T in the next part, which works out to v = 2.51 x 10^6 m/sec). You should show your reasoning as well: e.g.
For a straight line path, force = 0 so [itex]q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} = q\vec {E} => v =E/B[/itex]

and for the radius

r=mv/qB
r=(9.11 X 10^-31 kg)(2.51 x 10^-6 m/s)/(1.6 x 10^-19 coul)(3.5 x 10^-3 T)
r= .004m
Where do you get 3.5 x 10^-3 T?. Again, show your reasoning and you won't be confused:
Centripetal force is supplied by the Lorentz force:[itex]F_c = mv^2/r = qvB[/itex] so [itex]r = mv/qB[/itex].
AM

going right, (calculation part not seen.)

Hi,

I'm sorry for replying so late but I recalculated the answer for the question as asked by Andrew Mason

If B = 3.5 x 10^9 T (not 10^.9), and there is an electric field of 8.8e3 V/m, both perpendicular to the direction of v, and to each other, your answer is correct, although that seems like a very slow electron beam (it is very strong magnetic field). I would check the given values again.

and came up with 2.51 x 10^12 m/s, is this answer resonable.

Also for the second portion of the question:

I can still use this equation

r=mv/qB

and come up with the right answer?

Thank You:smile:

jena said:
and came up with 2.51 x 10^12 m/s, is this answer resonable.
Unfortunately, this is faster than the speed of light i.e. it is not reasonable. You should provide us with the magnetic field value. I suspect it is 3.5 x 10^(-3) T. based on your answer in the second part. If that is the case, the speed should be 2.51 x10^6 m/sec which is a reasonable value.

r=mv/qB

and come up with the right answer?
Of course. But you have to use the correct value for v. If you substitute v = E/B,

[tex]r = mE/qB^2[/tex]

AM

1. What is the relationship between velocity and radius of an electron beam in a magnetic field?

The velocity of an electron beam in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the radius of the beam. This means that as the velocity increases, the radius of the beam also increases.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the velocity and radius of the electron beam?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the velocity and radius of the electron beam. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the velocity of the beam decreases and the radius of the beam decreases.

3. How does the charge of the electron affect the velocity and radius of the beam in a magnetic field?

The charge of the electron has no effect on the velocity or radius of the beam in a magnetic field. The only factors that affect the velocity and radius are the strength of the magnetic field and the initial velocity of the beam.

4. Can the velocity and radius of an electron beam be controlled in a magnetic field?

Yes, the velocity and radius of an electron beam can be controlled in a magnetic field by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field. By increasing or decreasing the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity and radius of the beam can be altered.

5. How do magnetic fields affect the trajectory of an electron beam?

Magnetic fields can significantly affect the trajectory of an electron beam. When a beam of electrons enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the beam to bend and follow a curved path, resulting in a change in its trajectory.