1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a beam

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Hi,

My Question:

What is the velocity of a beam of electrons taht go undeflected and magnetic fields of magnitude 8.8 x 10^3 V/m and 3.5 x 10^.9 T, respectively? what is the radius of the electron orbit if the electric field is turned off?

My Work:

V= E/B
    V=(8.8 x 10^3 V/m)/(3.5 x 10^.9 T)
    V=2.51 x 10^-6 m/s

and for the radius

r=mv/qB
    r=(9.11 X 10^-31 kg)(2.51 x 10^-6 m/s)/(1.6 x 10^-19 coul)(3.5 x 10^-3 T)
    r= .004m

Are these correct :confused:

Thank You :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If B = 3.5 x 10^9 T (not 10^.9), and there is an electric field of 8.8e3 V/m, both perpendicular to the direction of v, and to each other, your answer is correct, although that seems like a very slow electron beam (it is very strong magnetic field). I would check the given values again. (You are using 3.5 x 10^-3 T in the next part, which works out to v = 2.51 x 10^6 m/sec). You should show your reasoning as well: e.g.
    For a straight line path, force = 0 so [itex]q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} = q\vec {E} => v =E/B[/itex]

Where do you get 3.5 x 10^-3 T?. Again, show your reasoning and you won't be confused:
    Centripetal force is supplied by the Lorentz force:[itex]F_c = mv^2/r = qvB[/itex] so [itex]r = mv/qB[/itex].
    AM

4. Oct 6, 2005 #3

mukundpa

Homework Helper

going right, (calculation part not seen.)

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    Hi,

I'm sorry for replying so late but I recalculated the answer for the question as asked by Andrew Mason

and came up with 2.51 x 10^12 m/s, is this answer resonable.

Also for the second portion of the question:

I can still use this equation

r=mv/qB

and come up with the right answer?

Thank You:smile:

6. Oct 9, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately, this is faster than the speed of light i.e. it is not reasonable. You should provide us with the magnetic field value. I suspect it is 3.5 x 10^(-3) T. based on your answer in the second part. If that is the case, the speed should be 2.51 x10^6 m/sec which is a reasonable value.

Of course. But you have to use the correct value for v. If you substitute v = E/B,

[tex]r = mE/qB^2[/tex]

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?