Calculating Velocity of a Plane

In summary, the question asks how to relate the velocity of a plane to the angular velocity. The author suggests working in h, theta, and d(theta)/dt, and using the fact that velocity along SP does not contribute to angular velocity. V=w.h/(Sin\theta)^2.
bungie77

Homework Statement

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2456/planeqc1.th.jpg

This is the question.

Homework Equations

I am unsure how to relate the velocity of the plane to the angular velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated r to be 11 540m. Therefore the distance in the i direction from the satellite must be 5770m and the distance in the j direction 10 000m. However when I try to calculate velocity of the plane using Vp = Vs + W*R (where W is angular velocity and R is distance from the plane to the satellite) I get an answer in terms of i and j even though I know there shouldn't be any velocity in the j direction. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah! One will have to get inside the picture to read the question!

Notice that h and theta give all the information you need to find the position of the plane.
Thereforce I suggest to work in these given variables as much as possible. The horizontal distance is also useful since its time derivative gives the velocity of the plane. r is really superfluous and the line is there only to define theta.

Let's call the horizontal distance from the satellite to the plane x. What are x and dx/dt in terms of h, theta and d(theta)/dt?

bungie77 said:
However when I try to calculate velocity of the plane using Vp = Vs + W*R (where W is angular velocity and R is distance from the plane to the satellite) I get an answer in terms of i and j even though I know there shouldn't be any velocity in the j direction. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any idea where this formula is used and why? As far as I know, it is used if a particle, P, is in pure rotation (angular velocity, W) about S, which itself may move with velocity Vs. Here, is the aeroplane in pure rotation about the radar station? Verify yourself that it is NOT, and thus the formula is, kind of, not applicable. (I mean, terms can be redefined to make it applicable!)

P.S.: Whenever you memorize a formula, please be careful about its usage and limitations!

yeah i understand that. sorry don't crucify me i just wanted to show i had not just gone straight here for an answer. i really just wanted a point in the right direction as was done by the previous poster. thanks for your comment and ill have a better look at the problem and post back soon.

Well, how about this approach: (It does not need knowledge of calculus, and shall I go as far as saying.. it is simpler!)
Let radar station be denoted by S, the plane be denoted by P.
I am using the following fact: Velocity along SP does not contribute to angular velocity of aeroplane about S. It is just the component of the velocity perpendicular to SP which contributes. Remember, [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{w}[/tex] X [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]. (Let, angular velocity = w = 0.020 rad/s)

Component of aeroplane's velocity in a direction perpendicular to SP = vSin[tex]\theta[/tex]. Thus, w.r = vSin[tex]\theta[/tex].
Also, rSin[tex]\theta[/tex] = h.
Therefore, v = w.h / (Sin[tex]\theta[/tex])^2

That is a lot simpler! Thanks for your reply that method makes sense to me and I get 960km/hr which I assume is correct. As for the other method though I am still a sketchy.

Ah, that is simple as well, if you have knowledge of calculus.
From geometry, h = xtan(theta).
Differentiate once, and use the fact that d(theta)/dt = w and dx/dt = v and dh/dt = o, as h remains constant.
(x is horizontal distance traveled by aeroplane in time t)

1. How is velocity of a plane calculated?

The velocity of a plane is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This can be expressed as the formula: Velocity = Distance/Time.

2. What units are used to measure velocity of a plane?

The most commonly used units to measure the velocity of a plane are kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph). However, other units such as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) can also be used.

3. How do you determine the distance traveled by a plane?

The distance traveled by a plane can be determined by using a combination of methods such as GPS tracking, flight logs, and radar data. In some cases, the distance may also be estimated based on the known speed and time of the flight.

4. Does the velocity of a plane change during different stages of flight?

Yes, the velocity of a plane can change during different stages of flight depending on factors such as altitude, air resistance, and wind speed. For example, a plane may have a higher velocity during takeoff and landing compared to cruising at a constant speed.

5. How accurate is the calculated velocity of a plane?

The accuracy of the calculated velocity of a plane depends on the accuracy of the data used to determine the distance and time traveled. Factors such as wind speed, air traffic, and technical limitations of the measuring equipment can also affect the accuracy of the calculated velocity.