Figuring Out Displacement Vector Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and magnitude of the velocity vector of a moving particle. It is suggested that the unit vector in the direction of displacement can be multiplied by the magnitude to find the velocity vector. The conversation also brings up the idea of parameterizing the line of motion in terms of time.
LeakyFrog
There is an attached image I couldn't figure out how to make it in the post.

The attempt at a solution
a)
So I know that the direction of the velocity vector will be in the direction on the displacement vector from P to Q:

2i+5j+3k

I also know that the magnitude of the velocity vector is 5cm/sec.

My thought on this is that we find the unit vector in the direction of the displacement and then multiply it by 5. So we get:

v = 5(2/sqrt(38)i+5/sqrt(38)j+3/sqrt(38)k)

Is this thinking correct?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
for a) yes, now for b)think about pramterising the line along which the particle moves in terms of time

1. What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the distance and direction between two points. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude or distance, and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the displacement.

2. How do you determine the direction of a displacement vector?

The direction of a displacement vector can be determined by looking at the angle between the vector and a reference point, usually the positive x-axis. The angle can be measured using a protractor or calculated using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between displacement vector and distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path traveled between two points. Displacement, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the shortest distance between two points and includes the direction of the movement.

4. Can a displacement vector be negative?

Yes, a displacement vector can be negative. This indicates that the movement is in the opposite direction of the reference point. For example, a displacement of -5 meters means that the object has moved 5 meters in the negative direction.

5. How do you add or subtract displacement vectors?

To add or subtract displacement vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. Place the tail of one vector at the head of the other and draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors, respectively.