Velocity vectors for an object dropped from a moving plane.

In summary, the problem involves an airplane dropping an aid package in a remote area with the plane moving horizontally at speed 0. The package lands a horizontal distance from where it was released by the plane. The main question is to find the time it takes for the package to land, while also finding the altitude of the plane, the velocity (vector) of the package when it lands, and the speed of the package when it lands. The relevant equations used to solve this problem are x=(-g/2)t^2+V0t+x0, v=-gt+V0, and a=-g. After solving for the time and altitude, the velocity and speed of the package can be found by plugging in the values for
flamemonkey

Homework Statement

An airplane is dropping an aid package in a remote area. The plane is moving horizontally at speed 0 and the package lands a horizontal distance from where it was released by the plane.

a) Find the time it takes for the package to land. -This is were I'm having the problem and is mostly what is preventing me from doing the rest.

b) Find the altitude of the plane.

c) Find the velocity (vector) of the package when it lands.

d)Find the speed of the package when it lands.

Write your results in terms of 0, L, and g. Check the units/dimensions for each answer.

Homework Equations

x=(-g/2)t2+V0t+x0
v=-gt+V0
a=-g

The Attempt at a Solution

The acceleration in the y-vector is -g/2*t2 and it has an initial velocity of 0 because it is being dropped from a plane moving parallel to the ground. solving for t gave me t=(2X0/g)1/2 then solving for X0 I got X0=v2/2g which is just leading me in circle leaving me with variables that I can't find a value for and are not accepted in the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind i solved it.

1. What is the velocity vector of an object dropped from a moving plane?

The velocity vector of an object dropped from a moving plane is the combination of the plane's velocity and the initial velocity of the object. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the velocity vector affected by the plane's speed and direction?

The velocity vector is directly affected by the speed and direction of the plane. The plane's velocity vector will be added to the velocity vector of the dropped object, resulting in a new velocity vector for the object.

3. What happens to the velocity vector as the object falls?

As the object falls, the magnitude of the velocity vector will decrease due to the force of gravity. However, the direction of the velocity vector will remain the same, assuming there is no wind or other external forces acting on the object.

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity vector of the falling object?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the velocity vector of a falling object. As the object falls, air resistance will increase, causing the magnitude of the velocity vector to decrease. This can also cause changes in the direction of the velocity vector.

5. How can the velocity vector be calculated for an object dropped from a moving plane?

The velocity vector can be calculated by adding the velocity vector of the plane to the initial velocity of the object. This can be done using vector addition, taking into account the magnitude and direction of each vector. Alternatively, the velocity vector can be calculated using the appropriate equations of motion, taking into account factors such as air resistance and gravity.