Verifying Trig. Identities

In summary: You can now simplify the fraction to get \displaystyle\frac{1}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sin(x)}+\frac{1}{\cos(x)} }=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{\cos(x)} }.
Aubrie
Any/All help is appreciated :) Thanks!

Homework Statement

All that has to be done is proving that these two sides are equal. Basically, you just work through the problem until both sides are the same.

(csc(x)-sec(x))/(csc(x)+sec(x)) = (tan(x)-1)/(tan(x)+1)

Homework Equations

sin2x + cos2x = 1

csc(x) = 1/sin(x)

sec(x) = 1/cos(x)

tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)

sin(-x) = -sin(x)

cos(-x) = -sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

coverted to terms of sin and cos
(1/sinx-1/cosx)/(1/sinx+1/cosx) = ((sinx/cosx)-1)/((sinx/cosx)+1)

flipped and multiplied, then started simplifying
sinx/sinx - sinx/sinx + cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = sinxcosx/sinxcosx + sinx/cosx - cosx/sinx - 1

continued simplifying
cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = 1 - 1 + sinx/cosx -cosx/sinx

cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = sinx/cosx - cosx/sinx

This is where I got confused. I'm not sure how to get the sides equal now. I tried a few things...not sure if they're right... I don't know how to make a -cos2x into cos2x and same with the sin.

multiplied in order to get common denominators

(cos2x-sin2x)/sinxcosx = (sin2x-cos2x)/sinxcosx

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to pick one side or the other and thru transformation derive the other side. So I'd start with the tan side first, convert to sin and cos then notice the numerator can be factored from (s/c - 1) to (s/c - c/c) to (s - c) /c and similarly for the denominator and you're almost home.

Aubrie said:
Any/All help is appreciated :) Thanks!

Homework Statement

All that has to be done is proving that these two sides are equal. Basically, you just work through the problem until both sides are the same.

(csc(x)-sec(x))/(csc(x)+sec(x)) = (tan(x)-1)/(tan(x)+1)

Homework Equations

sin2x + cos2x = 1

csc(x) = 1/sin(x)

sec(x) = 1/cos(x)

tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)

sin(-x) = -sin(x)

cos(-x) = -sin(x)     Typo ? You probably meant: cos(-x) = cos(x) .

The Attempt at a Solution

coverted to terms of sin and cos
(1/sinx-1/cosx)/(1/sinx+1/cosx) = ((sinx/cosx)-1)/((sinx/cosx)+1)

flipped and multiplied, then started simplifying
sinx/sinx - sinx/sinx + cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = sinxcosx/sinxcosx + sinx/cosx - cosx/sinx - 1

continued simplifying
cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = 1 - 1 + sinx/cosx -cosx/sinx

cosx/sinx - sinx/cosx = sinx/cosx - cosx/sinx

This is where I got confused. I'm not sure how to get the sides equal now. I tried a few things...not sure if they're right... I don't know how to make a -cos2x into cos2x and same with the sin.

multiplied in order to get common denominators

(cos2x-sin2x)/sinxcosx = (sin2x-cos2x)/sinxcosx
Hello Aubrie. Welcome to PF !

There's a typo or other mistake in one of you 'equations' above.

When you flipped and multiplied, did you 'flip' (1/sinx+1/cosx) and get sin(x)+cos(x). If you did then that's a BIG algebra no-no .

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sin(x)}+\frac{1}{\cos(x)} }\ne \sin(x)+\cos(x)[/itex]

After you get (1/sin(x)-1/cos(x))/(1/sin(x)+1/cos(x)) on the LHS, multiply the numerator & denominator by sin(x):
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\displaystyle\sin(x)\left(\frac{1}{sin(x)}-\frac{1}{\cos(x)}\right)}{\displaystyle\sin(x) \left( \frac{1}{sin(x)}+\frac{1}{\cos(x)}\right)}[/itex]​

See where that takes you.

1. What is the purpose of verifying trigonometric identities?

Verifying trigonometric identities allows us to prove that two expressions involving trigonometric functions are equal to each other. This is important in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complex expressions.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and reciprocal identities. These identities form the foundation for verifying more complex trigonometric identities.

3. How do you verify a trigonometric identity?

To verify a trigonometric identity, we manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric identities until it is equivalent to the other side. This process involves using known identities, simplifying expressions, and using algebraic techniques such as factoring and common denominators.

4. What are some common mistakes when verifying trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes when verifying trigonometric identities include not following the correct order of operations, making algebraic errors, and not using the correct identities. It is important to double check your work and make sure each step is accurate.

5. How can verifying trigonometric identities be applied in real-life situations?

Verifying trigonometric identities has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It allows us to accurately model and solve real-world problems involving trigonometric functions, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the height of a building.