Vertical Asymptote of f(x) = 2x/sin2x

In summary: Use the limit you were looking for:\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{e^{3x} - 1}}{{e^x - 1}}Since anything to the root 0 is 1, you get 1-1/1-1 = 0.
gator
Question: Find the Vertical Asymptote if any

f(x)=[tex}\frac{2x}{\sin2x}[\tex]

Im somewhat lost, I cross multi and get 1/2 although my friends tell me this just equals 1. Any ideas?

err...cant get the cool math symbol things to work...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clarify the function? The LaTeX didn't work properly, check your tags.

im trying to say f(x)= 2x / sin2x

Use the correct tags (closing with /, not \) and click to see the source:

[tex]\frac{2x}{\sin2x}[/tex]

Now, you can encounter a vertical asymptote if the denominator becomes zero for some value of x while the nominator is non-zero there.
If both are zero, you can check with a limit what the function becomes.

The only thing that would have the denom zero would be zero (sin2(o)) = 0
but that would cause the nom to become zero

Both become zero there indeed, in which case you can't tell (yet) if there will be a vertical asymptote. Have you covered limits?
You forgot one thing though, the sine-function becomes zero somewhere else (of course, it's period with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], but it has another zero within [0,[itex]2\pi[/itex]]). Think about the trigonometric unit circle, when is the sine zero as well?

sin = zero @ pi (180* on unit circle)

yep, covered limits. But in our notes he covers finding the VA without using limits (weird i know) so I am not sure

gator said:
sin = zero @ pi (180* on unit circle)

yep, covered limits. But in our notes he covers finding the VA without using limits (weird i know) so I am not sure
Indeed, at [itex]x = \pi[/itex] as well! And the nominator doesn't become zero there, so we have a real vertical asymptote here.
Of course, don't forget the sin(x) is periodic, so not only at [itex]x = \pi[/itex] but also at...? And the nominator only became zero at x = 0, but the denominator became zero there, so also at multiples of [itex]2 \pi[/itex] where the nominator doesn't become zero anymore!
Can you follow?

Perhaps you saw a standard limit you may use for the 0/0 case, which is the well-known:

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\sin x}}{x} = 1[/tex]

So my VA is x=pi ?

gator said:
So my VA is x=pi ?
There's one yes, but there are more. Reread my last reply, I edited while you were posting.

sin2x is zero when x=1/2 pi ? since that would mean sin = pi which would be zero on the denom

Well, sin(x) is a periodic function with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. This means that if it becomes zero at x = 0, it also becomes zero when you add a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The same goes for the case [itex]x = \pi[/itex].

So we have that sin(x) becomes zero at: [itex]x = 0 + 2k\pi \vee x = \pi + 2k\pi [/itex] where k is an integer. Now, the nominator is non-zero in all those cases, except for x = 0 (but not for its multiples of [itex]2\pi[/itex]). So if we leave out x = 0 in the x values I listed, then we have all the places where a vertical asymptote occurs. You see?

ok, i have you until the last sentsnce. if "k" is an interger, then the amount of VA's i could have is endless.

Im also a little lost on what i should write down on my assignment

by the way, thanks for all this help

Well, you're right! This function has an infinite number of vertical asymptotes!

lol yea!

now are you any good at continuity? I have a question

using the def. of continuity to determine the points at which the function is no continuous and indicate whether the discontinuity is removable or not

f(x) = HUGE bracket (x+1)absolute value x-2 all over 2 sqrt x+1 x<0
1 x=0
-e^x / x+2 x>0

I have no notes on continuity, so if you could just lead me to a good site if you don't have time to help then that fine

and a quick question on limits

lim x right arrow 0 e^3x -1 / e^x -1

since anything to the root 0 is 1 you get 1-1/1-1 = 0

gator said:
and a quick question on limits

lim x right arrow 0 e^3x -1 / e^x -1

since anything to the root 0 is 1 you get 1-1/1-1 = 0
So you're looking for

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{e^{3x} - 1}}{{e^x - 1}}[/tex]

Have you seen L'Hopital's rule? Or can you factor the nominator knowing that [itex]e^{3x} - 1 = \left( {e^x } \right)^3 - 1^3 [/itex]?

Last edited:
L'Hopital's rule?

Oh I see you made a mistake: (1-1)/(1-1) is 0/0 which isn't the same as 0...! You encounter an 'indeterminate form' here, namely 0/0 where you can apply L'Hopital's rule which states that in this case, you can take the nominator's and denominator's derivative (seperately, so f/g becomes f'/g'). If you don't know this rule, try factoring so you'll be able to cancel out [itex]e^x-1[/itex].

so like (e^x - 1)(e^x2 -e^x +1) so I now have e^x2 - e^x +1

Last edited:
gator said:
so like (e^x - 1)(e^x2 -e^x +1) so I now have e^x2 - e^x +1
I think you made a small mistake, the second factor is (e^(2x) + e^x +1), it should have a plus. Then fill in x = 0 now :smile:

1. What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a line on a graph that a function approaches but does not intersect. It represents a value that the function cannot reach, as the function's values increase or decrease without bound as it approaches the asymptote.

2. How do you determine the vertical asymptote of a function?

To find the vertical asymptote of a function, you need to first simplify the function by factoring and canceling any common factors. Then, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting value will be the vertical asymptote.

3. What is the significance of the vertical asymptote in the given function?

In the function f(x) = 2x/sin2x, the vertical asymptote occurs at x = 0. This means that the function approaches infinity as x approaches 0. It also indicates that the function has a discontinuity at x = 0, as the function is undefined at this point.

4. Can a function have more than one vertical asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple vertical asymptotes. This occurs when there are multiple values that the function cannot reach, and the graph has multiple lines that it approaches but does not cross.

5. How does the vertical asymptote affect the behavior of the function?

The vertical asymptote can significantly impact the behavior of a function. It can cause the function to have a discontinuity, meaning it is undefined at the asymptote's location. It can also affect the shape of the graph, as the function will approach the asymptote in a particular way depending on the function's behavior near the asymptote.