1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Asymptote

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    Question: Find the Vertical Asymptote if any

f(x)=[tex}\frac{2x}{\sin2x}[\tex]

Im somewhat lost, I cross multi and get 1/2 although my friends tell me this just equals 1. Any ideas?

err....cant get the cool math symbol things to work.....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Could you clarify the function? The LaTeX didn't work properly, check your tags.

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    im trying to say f(x)= 2x / sin2x

5. Jan 29, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Use the correct tags (closing with /, not \) and click to see the source:

[tex]\frac{2x}{\sin2x}[/tex]

Now, you can encounter a vertical asymptote if the denominator becomes zero for some value of x while the nominator is non-zero there.
    If both are zero, you can check with a limit what the function becomes.

6. Jan 29, 2006 #5
    The only thing that would have the denom zero would be zero (sin2(o)) = 0
    but that would cause the nom to become zero

7. Jan 29, 2006 #6

TD

Homework Helper

Both become zero there indeed, in which case you can't tell (yet) if there will be a vertical asymptote. Have you covered limits?
    You forgot one thing though, the sine-function becomes zero somewhere else (of course, it's period with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], but it has another zero within [0,[itex]2\pi[/itex]]). Think about the trigonometric unit circle, when is the sine zero as well?

8. Jan 29, 2006 #7
    sin = zero @ pi (180* on unit circle)

yep, covered limits. But in our notes he covers finding the VA without using limits (weird i know) so im not sure

9. Jan 29, 2006 #8

TD

Homework Helper

Indeed, at [itex]x = \pi[/itex] as well! And the nominator doesn't become zero there, so we have a real vertical asymptote here.
    Of course, don't forget the sin(x) is periodic, so not only at [itex]x = \pi[/itex] but also at...? And the nominator only became zero at x = 0, but the denominator became zero there, so also at multiples of [itex]2 \pi[/itex] where the nominator doesn't become zero anymore!
    Can you follow?

Perhaps you saw a standard limit you may use for the 0/0 case, which is the well-known:

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\sin x}}{x} = 1[/tex]

10. Jan 29, 2006 #9
    So my VA is x=pi ?

11. Jan 29, 2006 #10

TD

Homework Helper

There's one yes, but there are more. Reread my last reply, I edited while you were posting.

12. Jan 29, 2006 #11
    sin2x is zero when x=1/2 pi ? since that would mean sin = pi which would be zero on the denom

13. Jan 29, 2006 #12

TD

Homework Helper

Well, sin(x) is a periodic function with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. This means that if it becomes zero at x = 0, it also becomes zero when you add a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The same goes for the case [itex]x = \pi[/itex].

So we have that sin(x) becomes zero at: [itex]x = 0 + 2k\pi \vee x = \pi + 2k\pi [/itex] where k is an integer. Now, the nominator is non-zero in all those cases, except for x = 0 (but not for its multiples of [itex]2\pi[/itex]). So if we leave out x = 0 in the x values I listed, then we have all the places where a vertical asymptote occurs. You see?

14. Jan 29, 2006 #13
    ok, i have you until the last sentsnce. if "k" is an interger, then the amount of VA's i could have is endless.

Im also a little lost on what i should write down on my assignment

by the way, thanks for all this help

15. Jan 29, 2006 #14

TD

Homework Helper

Well, you're right! This function has an infinite number of vertical asymptotes!

16. Jan 29, 2006 #15
    lol yea!

now are you any good at continuity? I have a question

using the def. of continuity to determine the points at which the function is no continous and indicate whether the discontinuity is removable or not

f(x) = HUGE bracket (x+1)absolute value x-2 all over 2 sqrt x+1 x<0
    1 x=0
    -e^x / x+2 x>0

I have no notes on continuity, so if you could just lead me to a good site if you dont have time to help then that fine

17. Jan 29, 2006 #16
    and a quick question on limits

lim x right arrow 0 e^3x -1 / e^x -1

since anything to the root 0 is 1 you get 1-1/1-1 = 0

18. Jan 29, 2006 #17

TD

Homework Helper

So you're looking for

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{e^{3x} - 1}}{{e^x - 1}}[/tex]

Have you seen L'Hopital's rule? Or can you factor the nominator knowing that [itex]e^{3x} - 1 = \left( {e^x } \right)^3 - 1^3 [/itex]?

19. Jan 29, 2006 #18
    L'Hopital's rule?

20. Jan 29, 2006 #19

TD

Homework Helper

Oh I see you made a mistake: (1-1)/(1-1) is 0/0 which isn't the same as 0...! You encounter an 'indeterminate form' here, namely 0/0 where you can apply L'Hopital's rule which states that in this case, you can take the nominator's and denominator's derivative (seperately, so f/g becomes f'/g'). If you don't know this rule, try factoring so you'll be able to cancel out [itex]e^x-1[/itex].

21. Jan 29, 2006 #20
    so like (e^x - 1)(e^x2 -e^x +1) so I now have e^x2 - e^x +1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?