Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic convergence lens question

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    Hello. I have a very simple question that I need answered for my science project. I am doing a project on the effect of the convexity of the lens on the intensity of converged light. (Lux?)
    I am using a class set which I haven't been able to get my hands on yet, but we are expected to be completing introductory papers and such. I need a basic idea of the relationship between convexity of lens and intensity of converged light so I can work out some of the basics for my papers.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to pf.
    The short answer is that there isn't one...
    A converging lens concentrates pretty much all (parallel) light that hits it into the regeon around the focus.
    The more convex it is, the closer the focus is... but what determines the amount of light around the focus is pretty much the amount of light passing through the lens.
    So you need to think some more about what, exactly, you are investigating...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook