Very basic convergence lens question

In summary, the conversation discusses a science project on the effect of the convexity of a lens on the intensity of converged light. The person is using a class set for the project and needs a basic understanding of the relationship between convexity of lens and intensity of converged light. However, there is no straightforward answer as the amount of light around the focus is determined by the amount of light passing through the lens. Further thought is needed to determine the specific focus of the investigation.
Mehay
Hello. I have a very simple question that I need answered for my science project. I am doing a project on the effect of the convexity of the lens on the intensity of converged light. (Lux?)
I am using a class set which I haven't been able to get my hands on yet, but we are expected to be completing introductory papers and such. I need a basic idea of the relationship between convexity of lens and intensity of converged light so I can work out some of the basics for my papers.
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to pf.
The short answer is that there isn't one...
A converging lens concentrates pretty much all (parallel) light that hits it into the regeon around the focus.
The more convex it is, the closer the focus is... but what determines the amount of light around the focus is pretty much the amount of light passing through the lens.
So you need to think some more about what, exactly, you are investigating...

Related to Very basic convergence lens question

1. What is a convergence lens?

A convergence lens is a type of lens used in optics that is designed to bring parallel light rays to a single point, or to converge them. This is achieved by having a curved surface on one side of the lens and a flat surface on the other side.

2. How does a convergence lens work?

A convergence lens works by bending or refracting light as it passes through the lens. The curved surface of the lens causes the light rays to change direction, bringing them closer together and ultimately converging them at a single point.

3. What are the applications of convergence lenses?

Convergence lenses have a wide range of applications in fields such as photography, microscopy, and laser technology. They are also used in various medical procedures, such as eye surgeries, to help focus light. In addition, they are used in many optical devices, such as projectors and telescopes.

4. Can a convergence lens be used to focus light to a point behind the lens?

Yes, a convergence lens can be used to focus light to a point behind the lens. This is known as a virtual focus, and it occurs when the light rays are bent in such a way that they appear to be coming from a point behind the lens.

5. How is a convergence lens different from a diverging lens?

A convergence lens is designed to bring parallel light rays together, while a diverging lens is designed to spread them apart. This is due to the difference in curvature between the two types of lenses. Convergence lenses have a thicker center and thinner edges, while diverging lenses have a thinner center and thicker edges.