Very close to being finished, me with these 2 problems

• Thread starter WillP
  • Start date
ENDMENT: In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems: 1) the initial acceleration of a rod suspended by two strings and 2) the horizontal force exerted by a hinge on a beam attached to a wall. The conversation includes diagrams and workings for both problems, along with advice from another user. The user suggests using torque and unbalanced forces to solve the first problem, and resolving forces parallel and perpendicular to the rod for the second problem. The final solution for the first problem is a = 1.5g, and the final solution for the second problem involves finding the torque and tension in the cable.
WillP
I posted these earlier this morning along with 2 other problems. I've figured out the other two so I'm reposting these to clean things up a bit. If you can help with either problem please do, this assignment is due pretty soon.

1) A rod of length 68.0 cm and mass 2.00 kg is suspended by two strings which are 38.0 cm long, one at each end of the rod. The string on side B is cut. Find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of end B.
A diagram can be found here: http://capaserv.physics.mun.ca/msup...3a_1016full.gif

my workings:

net force = 0
A + B - mg = 0

and
net torque = 0
picking pivot to be at point A
LB - mgR = 0

so solving the torque equation to find
B = (9.8)(2)(0.34) / (0.68)
B = 9.8N

so A = 9.8N as well (solving the net force eqn)
I'm not even sure if I have that much done right, or even if i had to do that, I guess the length of the strings comes into play somewhere but I haven't used them yet, I need a lot of help with this one I think.

2) A 28.0 kg beam is attached to a wall with a hinge and its far end is supported by a cable. The angle between the beam and the cable is 90°. If the beam is inclined at an angle of theta=13.1° with respect to horizontal, what is the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam?
a graphic is here: http://capaserv.physics.mun.ca/msup..._beamhinge1.gif

so my workings

Ty + Fy - mgsin(90-13.1) = 0
Fx - Tx = 0

LTy - L/2 mgsin(90-13.1) = 0
Ty = (9.8)(28)(sin(76.9) / 2
Ty = 133.63 N

Tsin76.9 = 133.63N
T = 137.20

Tcos76.9 = Tx
Tx = 31.1 N

Fx - 31.1 N =0
Fx = 31.1 N

Goku replied with the following:

In (1), you have determined the forces (A and B) on the rod before the string is cut. Now when B is cut, the force at B becomes zero. At that instant, the force on A and the weight are the only forces acting on the rod.
From these unbalanced forces, you can find the acceleration of the CoM and from the unbalanced torque, you can find the angular acceleration about the CoM. From these 2 numbers you can get the initial accelration at the end B.

(2) : Instead of resolving forces horizontally and vertically, it's a lot easier if you resolve them parallel and perpendicular to the rod. This way you only have one force to resolve. Don't panic...that'll only make things worse.

but I don't think I really understand his advice, I've tried it for the first one and didn't get the correct answer and for the second one, I'm not sure how to do what he's saying. So please give me some advice about where to go with these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
WillP said:
I posted these earlier this morning along with 2 other problems. I've figured out the other two so I'm reposting these to clean things up a bit. If you can help with either problem please do, this assignment is due pretty soon.

1) A rod of length 68.0 cm and mass 2.00 kg is suspended by two strings which are 38.0 cm long, one at each end of the rod. The string on side B is cut. Find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of end B.
This is a torque problem.

Use:[tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] where I = the moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating about an end and [tex]\alpha = a/L[/tex]
[tex]\tau = T \times L[/tex] where T is the tension in the string at B and L is the rod length.

I get a = 1.5g

2) A 28.0 kg beam is attached to a wall with a hinge and its far end is supported by a cable. The angle between the beam and the cable is 90°. If the beam is inclined at an angle of theta=13.1° with respect to horizontal, what is the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam?
I can't view your drawing - it asks for a student ID. Is the 13.1 degree angle above or below the horizontal?

Find the torque by thinking of gravity acting on the beam's center of mass. To determine the torque, find the component of that gravitational force perpendicular to the beam and multiply by the distance from the center of mass to the hinge. Since net torque is 0, the cable is supplying an equal and opposite torque. That will tell you what the tension is in the cable. Find the horizontal component of that tension.

AM

It's great that you have already figured out the other two problems and are now focusing on these last two. For the first problem, you are on the right track with your equations for net force and net torque. However, as Goku mentioned, once the string is cut, the force at B becomes zero and there is an unbalanced force acting on the rod. This unbalanced force will cause the rod to accelerate, and you can use this acceleration to find the magnitude of the initial acceleration at end B.

To find the acceleration, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the unbalanced force, m is the mass of the rod, and a is the acceleration. You can also use the equation Torque=I*alpha, where Torque is the unbalanced torque, I is the moment of inertia of the rod, and alpha is the angular acceleration. From these equations, you can solve for a and alpha, and then use the relationship between linear and angular acceleration (a=r*alpha) to find the initial acceleration at end B.

For the second problem, instead of resolving forces horizontally and vertically, you can resolve them parallel and perpendicular to the rod. This means you will have one force acting parallel to the rod (the tension in the cable) and one force acting perpendicular to the rod (the force exerted by the hinge). By using the equations F=ma and Torque=I*alpha, you can solve for the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam.

Remember to always draw a clear and accurate diagram, and carefully label all the forces and distances involved. This will help you keep track of all the information and make sure you are using the correct equations.

If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask for more specific guidance or clarification on any steps. It's important to fully understand the problem and the steps involved in solving it. Good luck!

1. How close are you to finishing your project?

I am very close to finishing my project. I have solved most of the problems and am just working on the final details.

2. What are the two remaining problems that you are facing?

The two remaining problems I am facing involve finding a solution for the data discrepancy and optimizing the algorithm for faster processing.

3. What steps have you taken to solve these problems?

I have conducted extensive research, consulted with colleagues, and tested various approaches to find the most effective solution for these problems.

4. How confident are you in your solutions?

I am quite confident in my solutions as they have been thoroughly tested and have shown promising results. However, I am open to feedback and suggestions for further improvement.

5. When do you expect to be completely finished with these problems?

I expect to be completely finished with these problems within the next week. However, unforeseen challenges may arise that could potentially delay the completion date.