Vibration Damping Help: CR3-100 Damper Cutoff Frequency

In summary, the cutoff frequency of the damper CR3-100 depends on the modal frequency of interest. The static load per isolator is W = 20N. The required natural frequency of the system to provide 80% attenuation is calculated using part 2 on page 38 of the catalogue. The maximum stiffness to allow this Kv is calculated using part 1 on page 38 of the catalogue.
Shady99
Hello i was looking at the damper CR3-100 as seen in the pic. Howver from the tech sheet given i cudnt make out what's the cutoff freq of this damper...i mean which is the frequency beyond which it doesn't let the frequency pass...what to make of this KN/m value?
1475173389238.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide a link to that datasheet?

Likes Shady99
I googled it. There is an application guide in the catalogue.

Its a mass spring system. The cut off frequency will depend on the modal frequency of interest (ie what mass is on the spring). Isolation usually starts 1.4x the natural frequency.

So it really depends on how much attenuation of vibraion you want. The catalogue suggests a natural frequency 1/3 the excitation frequency for 80% attenuation.

Likes Shady99
xxChrisxx said:
I googled it. There is an application guide in the catalogue.

Its a mass spring system. The cut off frequency will depend on the modal frequency of interest (ie what mass is on the spring). Isolation usually starts 1.4x the natural frequency.

So it really depends on how much attenuation of vibraion you want. The catalogue suggests a natural frequency 1/3 the excitation frequency for 80% attenuation.
The total mass of the system is 4 kgs resting on two dampers

All you need to do is work through page 38 of the catalogue. What aspect are you struggling with?

Likes Shady99
xxChrisxx said:
All you need to do is work through page 38 of the catalogue. What aspect are you struggling with?
The system i have needs to be isolated from 30 hz freq...which means anything above 30 hz shud be damped...so how wud i know which freq this under discussion damper wud cut?

You know the mass value - 4kg. So you can use part 1 on page 38 to calculate the static load per isolator W.

You stated that it must attenuate above 30Hz. So this is your 'input excitation frequency'. You can use part 2 on page 38 to work out the required natural frequency of the system to provide 80% attenuation.

From that you can then calculate the maximum stiffness to allow this Kv.

Have a go at calculating these figures.

Likes Shady99
xxChrisxx said:
You know the mass value - 4kg. So you can use part 1 on page 38 to calculate the static load per isolator W.

You stated that it must attenuate above 30Hz. So this is your 'input excitation frequency'. You can use part 2 on page 38 to work out the required natural frequency of the system to provide 80% attenuation.

1475225620237.jpg

xxChrisxx said:

By the way how the units in the last Kv equation are cancelling out??...i mean there is Newton and hertz^2 in the numerator and m/s^2 in the denominator

They look about right to me. So to provide the desired attentuation from 30Hz
W = 20N
Kv = 7.8 KN/m

From the catalogue it states that:
W < Static Max
Kv < Kv of isolator

So from the there are 4 tunes of isolator you posted in the OP. Which one works?
The reason why this works is that once you go past the natural frequency, the vibration is out of phase with the input. So you start to get attenuation. I suggest you read up on vibration transmissibility.

Likes Shady99
xxChrisxx said:
They look about right to me. So to provide the desired attentuation from 30Hz
W = 20N
Kv = 7.8 KN/m

From the catalogue it states that:
W < Static Max
Kv < Kv of isolator

So from the there are 4 tunes of isolator you posted in the OP. Which one works?
The reason why this works is that once you go past the natural frequency, the vibration is out of phase with the input. So you start to get attenuation. I suggest you read up on vibration transmissibility.
The fourth one works...i still don't get how the units in Kv equation cancel out...Chris thankyou so much for the help...Appreciate it

Related to Vibration Damping Help: CR3-100 Damper Cutoff Frequency

1. What is vibration damping?

Vibration damping is the process of reducing or controlling unwanted vibrations in a system or structure, typically through the use of dampers or absorbers.

2. How does the CR3-100 damper help with vibration damping?

The CR3-100 damper is specifically designed to reduce vibrations in a system by using a cutoff frequency to limit the range of vibrations that can pass through it.

3. What is the cutoff frequency and why is it important?

The cutoff frequency is the frequency at which a damper or absorber starts to reduce the amplitude of vibrations. It is important because it determines the range of frequencies that will be effectively dampened by the CR3-100 damper.

4. Can the CR3-100 damper be used for all types of vibrations?

The CR3-100 damper is most effective for low-frequency vibrations, typically below 100 Hz. It may not be as effective for higher frequency vibrations.

5. How do I determine the appropriate cutoff frequency for my system?

The appropriate cutoff frequency for your system will depend on the type and level of vibrations present. It is best to consult with a vibration expert or refer to the product specifications to determine the best cutoff frequency for your specific application.