Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virus Software?

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Does anyone know of where to obtain a good virus software scanning program? I downloaded a virus scanning program awhile back which told me I had one, but I didn't know how to remove it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2
    I have McAfee on my laptops. Works pretty well. If money is a problem, try AVG from Grisoft. they have a free version (non-commercial use) that you can probably use. I've been using it on my home computer for a while now and haven't had many problems. Doesn't take up too much in the way of resources and scans fairly quickly. Updates usually come out every 3-4 days or so (usually weekly with McAfee).
  4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

I use Norton. It automatically protects against viruses, trojans, worms, and also detects adware.
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had the best track record so far with Avast, has all the usual goodies + some extra ... and it's completely free for home use.
  6. Jan 22, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

My company uses McAfee ASAP - updates about every 3-4 days (i.e. twice weekly). This also monitors anything downloaded. Save us lots of times especially against the newest viruses. And it generates a detailed report that can be viewed on-line.

At home I use Norton (Symantec).

Usually, you have to go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs to remove software, unless the software has an uninstall app.

Or, you could use Regedit, but only as a last resort, and only if you know what you are doing (it's like brain surgery on a PC).
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  7. Jan 23, 2005 #6
    You can't go wrong with Norton the only problem I had with it is that they wanted you to resubscribe every year. I have a thing with paying for what I have already paid for. I have heard good things about McAfee. Check subscription fees as I have not used any in a long time and things might have changed. Thought this could be a consideration for you.
  8. Jan 24, 2005 #7
  9. Jan 24, 2005 #8
    Agreed with Greg. I have been in love with AVG since version 7 came out. Version 6 used to annoy the hell out of me. It would find viruses in protected folders but not clear them. NTFS + AVG 6 was a big time annoyence for me.

I used Notron 2003 but it was a resource hog so I stopped. I heard Norton Corporate edition is awesome so you might try that if you dont trust freeware :P

I personally hate anti virus packages that contain everything like protection against spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, exploits, backdoors ...etc

I prefer to have indivual solutions to each. Norton, McAfee's newest products "i think" also provide protection against spyware and adaware and i hate them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?