Visualizing Related Rates/Optimization problem

• Thread starter Painguy
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand is to find the dimensions of the smallest piece of property on which a rectangular swimming pool with an area of 3200 square feet can be built, while satisfying the condition of having 5-foot wide decks along the sides and 10-foot wide decks at the ends. The main concern is visualizing what a pool deck is, but it can be thought of as a border surrounding the pool. A 2D diagram would be helpful in solving the problem.
Painguy

Homework Statement

A rectangular swimming pool is to be built with an area of 3200 square feet. The owner wants 5-foot wide decks along either side and 10-foot wide decks at the two ends. In this problem you will find the dimensions of the smallest piece of property on which the pool can be built satisfying these conditions.

My main problem is that I have no idea what a pool deck is( The last time I swam in a pool was 6 years ago, I prefer the beach :P), and therefore have no idea how to visualize it in order to come up with an equation to solve the problem with. If someone could be generous enough to give a topdown 2d diagram I'd appreciate that

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it look like this?

nYQXN.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

A rectangular swimming pool is to be built with an area of 3200 square feet. The owner wants 5-foot wide decks along either side and 10-foot wide decks at the two ends. In this problem you will find the dimensions of the smallest piece of property on which the pool can be built satisfying these conditions.

My main problem is that I have no idea what a pool deck is( The last time I swam in a pool was 6 years ago, I prefer the beach :P), and therefore have no idea how to visualize it in order to come up with an equation to solve the problem with. If someone could be generous enough to give a topdown 2d diagram I'd appreciate that

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it look like this?

nYQXN.png

Think of a pool deck as a border surrounding the pool, so you want a 5 ft border on each side and a 10 ft border at each end.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Think of a pool deck as a border surrounding the pool, so you want a 5 ft border on each side and a 10 ft border at each end.

RGV

OgCVP.png

Like that?

Painguy said:
OgCVP.png

Like that?

That's what I said, so yes.

RGV

1. What is the purpose of visualizing related rates and optimization problems?

The purpose of visualizing related rates and optimization problems is to better understand how different variables are related and how they change over time or in different scenarios. This can help scientists and mathematicians analyze and solve complex problems more efficiently.

2. How are related rates and optimization problems related?

Related rates and optimization problems are both types of mathematical problems that involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. In related rates problems, the goal is to find the rate of change of one variable in relation to another, while optimization problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function given certain constraints.

3. What are some common techniques for visualizing related rates and optimization problems?

Some common techniques for visualizing related rates and optimization problems include drawing diagrams, creating graphs, and using mathematical formulas and equations. These techniques can help scientists and mathematicians better understand the relationships between different variables and how they change over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of related rates and optimization problems?

Related rates and optimization problems have many real-world applications, such as in economics, engineering, physics, and biology. For example, optimization problems can be used to determine the most efficient route for a delivery truck or the optimal design for a bridge. Related rates can be applied in medicine to monitor changes in a patient's blood pressure or heart rate over time.

5. How can the solutions to related rates and optimization problems be verified?

The solutions to related rates and optimization problems can be verified through mathematical proofs and by checking if the solution satisfies all of the given constraints. In some cases, the solutions can also be verified through experiments or simulations. Additionally, the solutions can be checked for reasonableness and compared to real-world scenarios to ensure accuracy.