Calculating Resistor Voltage: Understanding V1 and V2 Across a Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the voltage on both sides of a resistor and whether it is possible to calculate the voltage of the resistor based on this information. There is also a mention of the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. The speaker is unsure of the value of current (I) and is seeking clarification on whether voltage drop is equal to voltage on the resistor. They have also calculated V1 and V2 and are asking if VX is equal to V2-V1.
rajohns08
1. If I know the voltages on both immediate sides of a resistor...lets say v1 is on voltage on left side of resistor, and v2 is voltage on the right side of the resistor, is the votage of the resistor = v2 - v1 if the positive side of resistor is to the right? Or can you not even calclulate the voltage of a resistor just based on the two voltages on either side of it.

2. Voltage drop equals voltage on resistor? i know v = i*r but i don't know value of i.

3. i have calculated v1 and v2 i just need to know if vx is equal to v2-v1

Physics news on Phys.org
i have calculated v1 and v2 i just need to know if vx is equal to v2-v1
Please show your calculations and post the text of the problem.

1. What is resistor voltage?

Resistor voltage is the amount of potential difference, measured in volts, that is applied across a resistor. It is a crucial aspect in understanding the behavior of a resistor in an electrical circuit.

2. How is resistor voltage calculated?

Resistor voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law (V = IR), where V is the voltage, I is the current flowing through the resistor, and R is the resistance of the resistor. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the voltage divider formula (V = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistances in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between V1 and V2 across a resistor?

V1 and V2 represent the voltage at different points across a resistor. V1 is the voltage at the input side of the resistor, while V2 is the voltage at the output side. The difference between V1 and V2 is the voltage drop across the resistor.

4. Why is it important to understand V1 and V2 when working with resistors?

Understanding V1 and V2 is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the voltage drop across a resistor, which is crucial in determining the performance of an electrical circuit. It also helps in selecting the appropriate resistors for a given circuit and troubleshooting any issues related to voltage.

5. Does the value of V1 and V2 change if the resistor is connected in series or parallel?

Yes, the value of V1 and V2 can change depending on how the resistor is connected in a circuit. In a series circuit, V1 and V2 will be the same, while in a parallel circuit, they will be different. This is because the voltage is divided differently in each type of circuit.