Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage multiplier Circuits

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    I am trying to simulate a voltage multiplier circuit on Pspice simulation package, which will produce an output voltage Vout.

What is the waveform of Vout supposed to look like?
    And also how will i work out the voltage ripple of the waveform?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    Info ??

Sean you have not given enough info here -- I assume you mean a dc to dc multiplier but there is more than one way of doing this and the results differ.
    Ray.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    If your talking about a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier then you put AC in and get DC out. I simulated this in Electronic workbench and used the o-scope to measure ripple, use AC coupling. The amount of ripple depends on a bunch of things, check out this website http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4
    cockroft walton voltage multiplier

yes it is the cockroft walton multiplier circuit, putting in an ac source and producing dc.

i have an output waveform but i cannot work out the voltage ripple

cheers guys

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    hey random question about voltage multipliers (im only posting here because ppl have responded to this as is...lol) although they increase voltage they also decrease current, correct?

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    Yes. It's sort like a transformer. The power in can't be less than the power out (on a continuous basis). Since P = V*I, the output current must decrease in proportion with the voltage increase.

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7
    k, just makin sure. lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?