Voltage that brings electron to rest

In summary, an electron is moving at 5.4 \times 10^5 ms^(-1) and is brought to rest as it enters a region of lower potential. The voltage that brought it to rest is -0.83 V.
Alexander2357

Homework Statement

An electron is moving at [tex]5.4 \times 10^5 ms^(-1)[/tex] is brought to rest as it enters a region of lower potential. What is the voltage that brought it to rest?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta KE=1/2m(v_2)^{2} - 1/2m(v_1)^{2} = W = -\Delta U = q \times \Delta V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted numbers into the equation and got [tex]\Delta KE = -1.315 \times 10^{-19} J[/tex], then I divided this by [tex]-1.602 \times 10^{-19} C[/tex] and got [tex]0.83 V[/tex] but the answer is wrong according the the answers in the back of the book. Why is this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Alexander2357. Looks like you have the right idea. But..

Alexander2357 said:
[tex]\Delta KE=1/2m(v_2)^{2} - 1/2m(v_1)^{2} = W = -\Delta U = \frac{q}{\Delta V}[/tex]

Is the very last expression of this equation correct? Looks like maybe a careless slip. You should also consider if you have the right sign for this expression.

Also, did you state the question exactly as it was given to you? The question "What is the voltage that brought it to rest?" is a little ambiguous to me. I think it would have been better to phrase it "What is the potential difference that brought it to rest?". I'm just wondering if you are expected to consider the sign of the potential difference that the electron moves through.

What is answer of book?

TSny said:
Hello, Alexander2357. Looks like you have the right idea. Is the very last expression of this equation correct?

I messed up the LaTeX. Fixed it.

I used the correct expression in my calculations anyway.

Alexander2357 said:
[tex]\Delta KE=1/2m(v_2)^{2} - 1/2m(v_1)^{2} = W = -\Delta U = q \times \Delta V[/tex]

Is the sign of the last expression correct?

I got answer 0.82V...what is actual answer?

Last edited:
The problem is with the sign of the potential (with respect to the potential at the initial position of the electron). Should it be minus or plus to stop the electron?

ehild

ehild said:
The problem is with the sign of the potential (with respect to the potential at the initial position of the electron). Should it be minus or plus to stop the electron?

ehild

I am not sure. May be I am not understanding the concept of a potential properly.

Why should the potential be negative to stop the electron?

This isn't a textbook question, it is a quiz question. I don't know why I said it is a textbook question... so I don't know the right answer but its magnitude should be ~0.826.

I entered 0.83 (2 sig fig) and it wasn't correct.

If a plate charged to positive is opposite to the electron, will it attract or repulse the electron?

ehild

ehild said:
If a plate charged to positive is opposite to the electron, will it attract or repulse the electron?

ehild

I forgot that potential has the same sign as the charge that produces it. So the potential must be negative to repulse the electron and slow it down. I think it makes sense now.

OK. Is -0.83 V accepted?

Yes! Thank you very much everyone!

What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

How does voltage affect electrons?

Voltage is what causes electrons to move through a circuit. It creates an electric field that pushes the electrons from the negative terminal of a battery to the positive terminal. The higher the voltage, the more energy the electrons have and the faster they can move.

What is the "rest" state of an electron?

The "rest" state of an electron refers to when it is not moving and has no kinetic energy. In other words, it is at rest in an electrical circuit. This occurs when the voltage in the circuit is balanced and there is no electric field pushing the electron.

What is the relationship between voltage and electron rest?

Voltage is directly related to the energy of an electron in an electrical circuit. When the voltage is high, the electrons have more energy and are moving faster. When the voltage is low, the electrons have less energy and are moving slower. At the "rest" state, the voltage is balanced and the electrons have no energy and are not moving.

How is voltage measured?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is typically connected in parallel to the circuit and displays the voltage in volts (V).