Want a book about the difference between law & theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between theory, law, and hypothesis, with the speaker expressing their desire for a text that explains these concepts. They suggest doing a Google search to find helpful resources on the topic.
eis3nheim
I want a text that explains the difference between theory, law and hypothesis

Physics news on Phys.org
A whole book? What happens when you Google the your phrase that I've quoted below? :smile:

eis3nheim said:
difference between theory, law and hypothesis

berkeman said:
A whole book? What happens when you Google the your phrase that I've quoted below? :smile:
I want to know what it takes a theory to be a theory and a law to be law.

eis3nheim said:
I want to know what it takes a theory to be a theory and a law to be law.

Then please do the Google search that I suggested. You will find lots of useful resources in the hit list...

Related to Want a book about the difference between law & theory

1. What is the difference between law and theory in science?

The main difference between law and theory in science is that a law is a statement that describes a natural phenomenon, while a theory is an explanation for why that phenomenon occurs. Laws are typically more general and can be proven through repeated experiments, while theories are more specific and can change as new evidence is discovered.

2. Can a law and a theory be used interchangeably?

No, laws and theories cannot be used interchangeably. While they both play important roles in scientific research and understanding, they serve different purposes. Laws describe what happens in nature, while theories explain why it happens.

3. Are laws more important than theories?

No, neither laws nor theories are more important than the other. They both serve important functions in the scientific process and work together to help us understand the natural world. Without laws, we wouldn't have a framework for understanding natural phenomena, and without theories, we wouldn't have explanations for why those phenomena occur.

4. How are laws and theories developed in science?

Laws and theories are developed through the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. Laws are typically based on repeated observations and experiments, while theories are developed through the synthesis of multiple hypotheses and evidence.

5. Can laws and theories change over time?

Yes, both laws and theories can change over time. As new evidence is discovered, our understanding of natural phenomena may change, leading to updates or revisions of existing laws and theories. This is a normal and essential part of the scientific process and allows for a more accurate understanding of the natural world.