1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Drop Experiment

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Next lesson, I am doing a water drop experiment. The basic idea is that a drop of liquid food colouring will be dropped from an eye dropper at different heights. The diameter of the wet mark that is left is then recorded for all these heights. I imagine I'll then plot a graph of diameter to height.

What I am wondering is what the relationship between the height and the diameter will be?

2. The attempt at a solution

Obviously, the higher the drop is dropped from, the large the diameter of the mark left. But do you think that the diameter will be in a linear relationship with the height? I assumed so at first, but now I think about it, perhaps a squared relationship would be more obvious. Why would this be the case? And how is energy transferred in this dropping scenario?

Thank you for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

This is why you are doing the experiment.

The problem ultimately is how you measure. The furthest droplet? The largest contiguous stain?

There comes a point where 1 drop cannot be expected to cover too much area.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?