What is the Optimal Water Flow Rate for Different Pipe Diameters and Pressures?

In summary: If the pressure reducer is not functioning properly, this can also cause a slow flow. Check to see if the pressure reducer is installed correctly, is it functioning properly, and is it properly air-tight. Can you provide more information on the type of water filter that is included? Is it a reverse osmosis filter? Are there any other fixtures in the house that might be causing the slow flow? For example, a faucet that you turn on and off multiple times a day? Is it just in one part of the house? Are there any trees or branches that might be blocking the line? The water flow rate at an open
ricsand
what is the water flow rate at an open 1/2" tap through 19mm diameter and 22mm diameter pipes at 4 bar pressure? I currently have 1/2" pipework and the delivery rate is terrible although I am told the incoming supply is from a 22mm pipe with 4 bar pressure.

I am thinking of replacing the pipework to fittings with a larger diameter but the system includes a water filter with 19mm ports. I would be prepared to change this for one with 22mm ports or bigger if that helped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it help to remember that the hydrostatic pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure at the open end?

I would expect the flow rate to be fine unless there is a problem somewhere. Perhaps the pipes are scaled up? Perhaps there is a stopcock/valve not fully open?

Perhaps a faulty pressure reducer? When we built our house we needed to add pressure reducers in the supply to some taps to stop water splashing everywhere. These worked fine when first installed but over a few years they reduced the flow rate to an unacceptable degree. At some point I will need to break into all the dry wall and adjust them. On the one I have done this worked fine and restored the flow to what it was originally.

the system includes a water filter

Perhaps check there isn't a problem with that. I'd try bypassing it with a flexible hose or similar and see if the flow rate improves.

Where is the water filter located? Is it right on the spigot? My daughter has a filter located on the spigot, and, in my opinion, the flow is too slow... but it doesn't bother her. Do you have other faucets in the house, and do they all run slow? What about the garden hose? What about the toilet tanks? Do they take a long time to fill? In other words, is the slow flow everywhere, or is it just in certain lines? Is it possible that tree roots are growing into your inlet line?

CWatters said:
When we built our house we needed to add pressure reducers in the supply to some taps to stop water splashing everywhere. These worked fine when first installed but over a few years they reduced the flow rate to an unacceptable degree. At some point I will need to break into all the dry wall and adjust them. On the one I have done this worked fine and restored the flow to what it was originally.

Just a little off original topic.
I have found (in Australia at least) when the first houses are being built in new suburbs, the water pressure from the mains is quite high so flow through the lines is high also, as the demand on the supply is low in the beginning. As more and more homes are built, the water pressure drops off as more demand is placed on the system. So over the course of the suburb being populated, the flow through the houses plumbing may drop off by 30-50% due to nothing more than demand catching up to supply.

Damo

filters often get clogged and need to be cleaned or replaced...

1. What factors affect the water flow rate through pipes?

The water flow rate through pipes can be affected by various factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the length of the pipe, the material of the pipe, the viscosity of the water, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

2. How is the water flow rate through pipes calculated?

The water flow rate through pipes can be calculated using the formula Q = A × V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic feet per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square feet, and V is the velocity of the water in feet per second.

3. What is the maximum water flow rate that can be achieved through a pipe?

The maximum water flow rate that can be achieved through a pipe depends on the size and material of the pipe, as well as the pressure and viscosity of the water. Generally, larger pipes with smoother interiors can accommodate higher flow rates.

4. How can the water flow rate through pipes be increased?

The water flow rate through pipes can be increased by using a larger diameter pipe, reducing the length of the pipe, or increasing the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the pipes can also help to improve the water flow rate.

5. What are some common problems that can affect the water flow rate through pipes?

Some common problems that can affect the water flow rate through pipes include clogs or blockages, leaks, corrosion, and damage to the pipes. These issues can lead to decreased flow rates and should be addressed promptly to avoid further damage to the pipes.