Calculate Water Pipe Flow for Output Temperature of 60 Celsius

In summary, the conversation is about finding the flow rate of water from two pipes with different temperatures to reach a desired output temperature. There is confusion about using specific water gravity and a suggestion to look into the mixing perfect gas laws for help with this problem.
MingoN26
Hey Guys!

This is my first post so I apologize beforehand if there are any mistakes with my post :D

But my question is...

I have 2 water pipes that are connected to one pipe in the middle, but the distance from the 2 water pipes to the connection point are not necessarily the same. The distance from water pipe with 80 celsius hot water to connection point is 1 m, and the distance from the water pipe with 20 celsius cold water is 1,5 m(Like you can read I like to use SI-units). The water flows from to tanks placed above so the gravity force affect the water to flow through the pipes(A little sketch should be attached).

I know the value of all most everything in this systems except the pressure, so feel free to ask.

But How do I find the flow rate of the water from both the cold and warm water pipes when I want the output temperature to be 60 celsius?

I found this calculator online:

http://wea-inc.com/calc-frm.htm

but I don't understand where this equation is from? I mean why do you need to use the specific water gravity?

If there are anyone who can explain this equation or know how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,019 bytes · Views: 472
Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming perfect mixing they will sum linearly so you want a 2:1 mixing ratio of hot to cold. Lengths will not matter in this approximation

Try looking into the mixing perfect gas laws, PV=mRT may help with this

DanPreLoaded said:
Try looking into the mixing perfect gas laws, PV=mRT may help with this

It's not clear how this helps the OP. AFAIK, he is dealing only with mixing liquids at different temperatures.

1. How do I calculate water pipe flow for an output temperature of 60 Celsius?

To calculate water pipe flow for an output temperature of 60 Celsius, you will need to use the following formula: Q = m x Cp x (T2 - T1), where Q is the heat flow rate in kilowatts, m is the mass flow rate in kilograms per second, Cp is the specific heat capacity of water (4.186 joules/gram Kelvin), and T2 and T1 are the output and input temperatures in Kelvin, respectively.

2. Can I use a different unit for the output temperature?

Yes, you can use a different unit for the output temperature as long as it is converted to Kelvin. You can use the following formula to convert Celsius to Kelvin: K = C + 273.15.

3. How do I determine the mass flow rate?

The mass flow rate can be determined by dividing the volume flow rate by the density of water. The volume flow rate can be measured using a flow meter, and the density of water at 60 Celsius can be found in a density table.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of fluid?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating water pipe flow. Different fluids have different specific heat capacities, so the formula would need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. Is this formula accurate for all types of water pipes?

This formula is a simplified version and does not take into account factors such as pipe diameter, material, and insulation. It can provide a general estimation, but for more accurate results, a more comprehensive calculation would be needed.