Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water pipe flow

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    Hey Guys!

This is my first post so I apologize beforehand if there are any mistakes with my post :D

But my question is...

I have 2 water pipes that are connected to one pipe in the middle, but the distance from the 2 water pipes to the connection point are not necessarily the same. The distance from water pipe with 80 celsius hot water to connection point is 1 m, and the distance from the water pipe with 20 celsius cold water is 1,5 m(Like you can read I like to use SI-units). The water flows from to tanks placed above so the gravity force affect the water to flow through the pipes(A little sketch should be attached).

I know the value of all most everything in this systems except the pressure, so feel free to ask.

But How do I find the flow rate of the water from both the cold and warm water pipes when I want the output temperature to be 60 celsius?

I found this calculator online:

http://wea-inc.com/calc-frm.htm

but I don't understand where this equation is from? I mean why do you need to use the specific water gravity?

If there are anyone who can explain this equation or know how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2
    Assuming perfect mixing they will sum linearly so you want a 2:1 mixing ratio of hot to cold. Lengths will not matter in this approximation

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    Try looking into the mixing perfect gas laws, PV=mRT may help with this

5. May 1, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear how this helps the OP. AFAIK, he is dealing only with mixing liquids at different temperatures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook