1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water resistance problem, HELP!

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1
    Here's my problem:
    I have to find how much deceleration & how deep it will be when something fall into the water, but I just have the Vo when it strikes the water and of course Vt which is 0. I dunno how can I measure its deceleration underwater. OK, actually I just want to know how much force that the water gives when this thing strikes the water. So, I wanna combine the equation F.t= m(Vt-Vo). Can I use that? But I have to get either the time and I'll use Vt=0, or the Vt and I'll use the time = 0.01 s, so it's just instanteous velocity.

What equation should I use??? Please help me, it's a part of my project and if I can't solve this problem, it mean I should change the whole project!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For any constant acceleration, you can treat "average" as (v0+v1)/2 - i.e. the average of the initial and final speeds. Here, v1= 0 so the average velocity is v0/2.

Decelerating at constant acceleration, -a, v(t)= v0- at so v(t)= 0 when v0- at= 0 or t= v0/a. The distance the object falls in that time is (v0/2)(v0/a)= v02/2a.

If you know the initial velocity v0 and depth d, then
    d= v02/2a so a= v02/2d.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?