Understanding the Human Ear's Sensitivity to 3500Hz Sounds

In summary, The human ear is sensitive to sounds at frequencies around 3500Hz because of the resonance that occurs in the auditory canal, which has a length of 2.5 cm. This means that sound waves with a wavelength of 0.1m are especially amplified in the ear, making us more sensitive to sounds at this frequency.
rizardon

Homework Statement

The auditory canal of the human ear extends about 2.5 cm from the outside ear to the eardrum
(a)Explain why the human ear is especially sensitive to sounds at frequencies around 3500Hz.

Homework Equations

Speed of sound v=344m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the human can hear sound with frequency between 500Hz-3500Hz,but , I don't how to explain how and why we hear what we hear. It would be great if anyone could give me some clues.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure about this, but it gives the right solution, so I'll tell it anyway:)
The ear can be thought of as a pipe with one end open, the other closed. This means that resonance of the sound waves can happen every s=(2k+1)*lambda / 4 distances, where s is the length of the pipe. Now, substitute s = 0.025m and k=0, we get that lambda = 0.1m, and since f=c/lambda, f = 3440Hz. So because of the resonance, we would be especially sensitive to frequencies near that. (For k>0, we get frequencies so high that the human can't sense. Btw, I think we're ranged from 100Hz to 4000Hz, although I'm not sure of the lower boundry).

Ear is sensitive for the frequency which forms anti node at the opening of the ear and node at the ear drum. Length of the auditory canal is 2.5 cm. So the wavelength of the frequency is 4*2.5 cm.
Now velocity v = f*lambda.
Find f.

rizardon said:
I know the human can hear sound with frequency between 500Hz-3500Hz,but , I don't how to explain how and why we hear what we hear. It would be great if anyone could give me some clues.
We can hear sound with frequency between 16Hz and 20000Hz!

Sound is a traveling wave which is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through an air. When that wave reaches eardrum, the eardrum begins to vibrate. We interpret this vibrations as a sound. No matter how - it is biology.

Imagine auditory canal as a pipe with eardrum at the one end and open at the second. You should calculate which is frequency of standing (stationary) sound wave in that pipe. Wave with that frequency will be strengthened.

Last edited:

I can provide a few possible explanations for why the human ear is particularly sensitive to sounds at frequencies around 3500Hz.

1. Resonance: The human ear is a complex and delicate organ that is designed to detect and process sound waves. It has a natural resonance frequency, which is the frequency at which it vibrates most easily. The ear's resonance frequency is around 3500Hz, which means that it is able to detect and amplify sounds at this frequency more efficiently than others.

2. Anatomy: The anatomy of the human ear, specifically the shape and size of the auditory canal, also contributes to its sensitivity to sounds at 3500Hz. The auditory canal is a narrow, curved tube that leads to the eardrum. This shape and length are optimal for amplifying sounds at frequencies around 3500Hz, making them easier to detect by the ear.

3. Evolution: The human ear has evolved over millions of years to be sensitive to sounds that are most relevant to our survival. Frequencies around 3500Hz are common in nature, such as the sounds of human speech, animal vocalizations, and environmental sounds like rustling leaves. Therefore, our ears have become particularly attuned to these frequencies in order to help us communicate and be aware of potential threats.

Ultimately, the sensitivity of the human ear to sounds at 3500Hz is likely a combination of all these factors and possibly others that we have yet to fully understand. Our ears are complex and amazing organs that have evolved to help us navigate and interact with our environment through sound.

1. What is the human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds?

The human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds varies from person to person. On average, the human ear can detect sounds in the range of 20Hz to 20,000Hz. However, our sensitivity to specific frequencies can be affected by factors such as age, genetics, and exposure to loud noises.

2. Why is 3500Hz considered a significant frequency for the human ear?

3500Hz is considered a significant frequency for the human ear because it falls within the range of frequencies that we are most sensitive to. This means that we can detect and perceive sounds at 3500Hz more easily than other frequencies.

3. How does the human ear detect sounds at 3500Hz?

The human ear detects sounds at 3500Hz through a complex process involving the outer, middle, and inner ear. When sound waves enter the ear, they vibrate the eardrum, which in turn causes tiny hair cells in the inner ear to move. These hair cells then convert the vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain, allowing us to perceive the sound at 3500Hz.

4. Can exposure to loud noises affect the human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds?

Yes, exposure to loud noises can definitely affect the human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds. Prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 decibels can damage the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to a decrease in sensitivity to specific frequencies, including 3500Hz. This is why it is important to protect our ears from loud noises, especially in occupational or recreational settings.

5. How can studying the human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds benefit us?

Studying the human ear's sensitivity to 3500Hz sounds can benefit us in many ways. It can help us better understand how our ears work and how we perceive sound. This knowledge can then be used to develop better hearing aids and treatments for hearing impairments. Additionally, understanding the human ear's sensitivity to specific frequencies can also aid in noise control and design of more effective alarm systems or warning signals.