Websites about velocity of sound for Report Intro.

In summary, a student is doing a report on an experiment about the Velocity of Sound through various gases, and is currently researching the historical context for the introduction section. The experiment aims to find the velocity of sound and calculate the dimensionless gas coefficient. The instruction booklet mentions that this experiment helped prove the existence of atoms, but the student is having trouble finding relevant information. They ask for recommendations on helpful websites and if they should focus more on the velocity or the dimensionless gas coefficient. Another person suggests using Google Scholar for research.
TFM
I am doing a long report on an experiment on the Velocity of Sound through various gases, and I am doing the historical context part of the introduction section.

The experiment itself was to find the velocity of sound through different gases, and also to calculate from this the dimensionless gas coefficient. The intruction booklet says that this experiment helped to prove that matter was made up from atoms, but I have tried searching for relevant information, and tried using diffferent phrases through Search Engines, but cannot find anything useful. Does anyone recommend any helpful websites?

TFM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone recommend any helpful sites? Do I need to concentrate less on the velocity part, and more on the dimensionless gas coeffiecient??

Any suggestionb are most appreciated,

TFM

You could try searching in Google scholar if you haven't already.

What's Google Scholar? I've not heard of it before?

TFM

What is the velocity of sound?

The velocity of sound is the speed at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air, water, or solid objects. It is typically measured in meters per second.

Why is it important to study the velocity of sound?

Studying the velocity of sound allows us to understand how sound behaves in different environments and how it can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity. This knowledge is useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and music.

How is the velocity of sound calculated?

The velocity of sound can be calculated using the formula v = f * λ, where v is the velocity, f is the frequency of the sound wave, and λ is the wavelength. It can also be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took for the sound to travel.

What is the average velocity of sound in air?

The average velocity of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature (25 degrees Celsius). However, this value can vary depending on factors such as altitude, humidity, and air density.

How does the velocity of sound differ in different mediums?

The velocity of sound is affected by the physical properties of the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids, and faster in liquids than in gases. This is because the particles in a solid are closer together, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.