Calculating Acceleration in a Wedge-Block System on a Frictionless Table

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a wedge with mass M and a block with mass m on top of it, both placed on a frictionless horizontal table. The system is released from rest and the goal is to calculate the acceleration of the wedge and the horizontal and vertical components of the block's acceleration. The solution involves listing the forces acting on the objects and using equations such as F=ma and trigonometric functions to determine the accelerations.
oldspice1212
A wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal table top. A block with mass m is placed on the wedge. There is no friction between the block and the wedge. The system is released from rest.

Figure http://tinyurl.com/9zcf7uq

1. Calculate the acceleration of the wedge.
Express your answer in terms of M, m, [itex]\alpha[/itex], and constant g.

2. Calculate the horizontal component of the acceleration of the block.
Express your answer in terms of M,m, [itex]\alpha[/itex] , and constant g.

3. Calculate the vertical component of the acceleration of the block.
Express your answer in terms of M,m ,[itex]\alpha[/itex] , and constant g.

Answer I got but it was wrong not sure if I'm putting it in right or it's just wrong.

1. -(mgsin2([itex]\alpha[/itex])/2M

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you take us through your solution so we can tell what is wrong?

Well I listed the forces first 1, 2, 3 F1: parallel F2:perpendicular and up F3 perpendicular and down

mgsin([itex]\alpha[/itex])
mgcos([itex]\alpha[/itex])
mgcos([itex]\alpha[/itex])

which got me the acceleration

I don't understand. Which object are those forces on? What is F1 parallel to?

Parallel to F2 lol, it's hard for me to explain I wish I knew how to put a diagram on here

You can take a picture of your solution from your notebook, etc. and attach it here. Alternatively, you can click on 'Go Advanced' button underneath this box and type out yoru solution in latex.

Err, well how would you do number 1?

1. What is a wedge on a frictionless table?

A wedge on a frictionless table is a simple physics scenario where a wedge-shaped object is placed on a completely smooth and frictionless surface. This allows for the wedge to move without any resistance or friction, making it an ideal scenario for studying the principles of motion and forces.

2. What is the purpose of studying a wedge on a frictionless table?

Studying a wedge on a frictionless table allows scientists to understand the fundamental principles of motion and forces in a controlled environment. It also serves as a model for more complex scenarios where friction may play a role, allowing for a better understanding of how friction affects motion.

3. How does the angle of the wedge affect its motion on a frictionless table?

The angle of the wedge affects its motion on a frictionless table by determining the direction and magnitude of the force required to move it. A steeper angle will require a greater force to move the wedge, while a shallower angle will require less force.

4. What are some real-world applications of the wedge on a frictionless table scenario?

The wedge on a frictionless table scenario can be applied to real-world situations such as the movement of objects on conveyor belts, the motion of vehicles on icy roads, and the design of machinery with moving parts that require minimal friction for optimal performance.

5. Are there any limitations to studying a wedge on a frictionless table?

Yes, there are limitations to studying a wedge on a frictionless table as it is an idealized scenario that does not account for real-world factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the surface. However, it serves as a useful model for understanding the basic principles of motion and forces.