Weinberg 3.4 -- Derive the perturbation expansion....

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help with a problem in the Weinberg textbook on quantum field theory. The relevant equations include the Fourier representation of energy and the Dyson series for the s-matrix. The individual asking for help is new to physicsforums and unsure how to use latex. They have attempted to solve the problem by inserting the Fourier representation of energy factors into equation (3.5.3) and manipulating the expression, but have been unsuccessful. They have noticed that in equation (3.5.8), the integrals run from negative infinity to t_n, which they are unsure how to derive from the old-fashioned perturbation series.
kushal3553

Homework Statement

Basically I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to give me the solution to the 4th problem of the Weinberg textbook on quantum field theory. The exact question in the book is "Derive the perturbation expansion (3.5.8) directly from the expansion (3.5.3) of old-fashioned perturbation theory."

Homework Equations

The relevant equations include the Fourier representation of energy, the Dyson series for the s-matrix, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

S[/B]o I'm new to physicsforums so I have no idea how to do physics equations on the computer using what I think is called latex. Also, my work spans quite a few pages but I don't think I've gotten anywhere that would be all that useful in solving the problem.Thank you in advance to those that are willing to help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To type in latex, simply use the $ or # wrappers and write in the familiar latex codes. For example, you can quote my post to see how I wrote the below equation: $$S=\int_a^b \mathcal{L} dt$$

You will have to show some of your work, or at least tell us about your approach, before someone will help you here. :)

Ok, so basically I inserted the Fourier representation of the energy factors into eq. (3.5.3) and came up with a factor of $$e^(iE_a * t) * V_(by)*V_(ya) * e^(-iE_y * t)$$ within the two integrals and I thought maybe I could get V(t) somewhere through that and the rest of my work has to do with manipulating the expression in the integral to maybe get $$<phi_a|V(t)|phi_b>$$ by the end of the expression. I was unsuccessful in this endeavor and I noticed that in (3.5.8) many of the integrals run from negative infinity to t_n which I have no idea how that can be derived from the old-fashioned perturbation series.

bump

bump

kushal3553 said:
bump
You seriously have made no progress in the last 3 years on this?

1. What is the Weinberg 3.4 perturbation expansion?

The Weinberg 3.4 perturbation expansion is a mathematical method used to approximate a solution to a problem that cannot be solved exactly. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using a series of approximations to solve for the solution.

2. Why is perturbation expansion useful in science?

Perturbation expansion is useful in science because many problems in physics, chemistry, and other fields cannot be solved exactly. This method allows scientists to make approximations and still obtain useful results, even for complex systems.

3. How is the perturbation expansion derived?

The perturbation expansion is derived using mathematical techniques such as Taylor series and power series. It involves expanding a function or equation in terms of a small parameter, and then using this expansion to solve for the solution to the problem.

4. What are some real-world applications of perturbation expansion?

Perturbation expansion has applications in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and solid state physics. It is used to study the behavior of complex systems such as atoms, molecules, and materials.

5. What are the limitations of perturbation expansion?

While perturbation expansion is a powerful tool in solving complex problems, it does have limitations. It is only applicable for small perturbations and may not give accurate results for large perturbations. Additionally, the convergence of the perturbation series may be slow, making it difficult to obtain accurate solutions.