Weird problem for finding load resistance value.

In summary, A student of electrical engineering has a problem to solve regarding an electrical circuit with a DC voltage source and a load resistance. The task is to determine the value of the load resistance (with a precision of 0.1 Ω) at which the power delivered by the source is maximum. After discussing the concept of maximum power transfer and questioning the need for a precision of 0.1 Ω, the student asks for an example of how to solve the problem using Scilab. The expert suggests using traditional optimization techniques or running through a range of values in order to find the optimum value of the load resistance.
Vasile Ghe
Hello 2 all !

I am a student on electrical engineering, and i have the following problem to solve:

Homework Statement

An electrical circuit includes a dc voltage source with an internal
resistance, and a load resistance. Determine the value of the load resistance R (with a precizion of 0.1 Ω) for which the power delivered by the source will be maximum, knowing that U = 12V and rs = 2.5 Ω.

The Attempt at a Solution

If i understand the problem correctly, the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance value equals the internal resistance of the source.
Is this not correct ?
Why am i asked to calculate the load resistance with a precision of 0.1 Ω ?
Is there something that i am missing here ?

I am attaching the circuit schematic as a reference.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.

Attachments

• circ1.jpg
    circ1.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Vasile Ghe said:
Hello 2 all !

I am a student on electrical engineering, and i have the following problem to solve:

Homework Statement

An electrical circuit includes a dc voltage source with an internal
resistance, and a load resistance. Determine the value of the load resistance R (with a precizion of 0.1 Ω) for which the power delivered by the source will be maximum, knowing that U = 12V and rs = 2.5 Ω.

The Attempt at a Solution

If i understand the problem correctly, the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance value equals the internal resistance of the source.
Is this not correct ?
Why am i asked to calculate the load resistance with a precision of 0.1 Ω ?
Is there something that i am missing here ?

I am attaching the circuit schematic as a reference.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.

You are correct that maximum power is transferred when the load impedance equals the complex conjugate of the source impedance (or in the case of pure resistances, when the resistances are equal).

I have no idea why they mention the 0.1 Ohm number...

Do they want you to derive the result, or just state it?

I guess they want me to calculate it.

I think i have to get several values for resitances and calculate power for each one and thus prove that the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance/impedance equals the internal resistance/impedance of the source.

The problem is that i need to do this in Scilab.

How can i do this in Scilab ?

Can you give me an example ?

Thanks

Vasile Ghe said:
I guess they want me to calculate it.

I think i have to get several values for resitances and calculate power for each one and thus prove that the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance/impedance equals the internal resistance/impedance of the source.

The problem is that i need to do this in Scilab.

How can i do this in Scilab ?

Can you give me an example ?

Thanks

You would normally show it using the traditional optimization technique from calculus (set derivative equal to zero). If you have to simulate it, just run through a range of values, or do an optimum seeking algorithm to zero in on the optimum value.

Hello,

As a fellow electrical engineer, I can understand your confusion about the precision of 0.1 Ω in this problem. However, it is important to note that in real-world applications, the internal resistance of a voltage source may not be a perfect value of 2.5 Ω. It may have slight variations due to manufacturing processes or other factors. Therefore, calculating the load resistance with a precision of 0.1 Ω allows for a more accurate and realistic solution to the problem.

Additionally, while it is true that maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance is equal to the internal resistance of the source, it is not always the most efficient or practical solution. In some cases, a slightly different load resistance may result in a more efficient use of power. This is why it is important to calculate the load resistance with a precision of 0.1 Ω, to find the most optimal solution for this specific circuit.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you and good luck with your solution!

1. What is the purpose of finding load resistance value in a weird problem?

The purpose of finding load resistance value is to determine the optimal resistance needed for the load to function properly. This is important in electronic circuits as it ensures that the load receives the correct amount of current and operates efficiently.

2. How is load resistance value calculated in a weird problem?

In a weird problem, load resistance value can be calculated using Ohm's Law which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. This can also be done through experimentation by varying the resistance until the desired load performance is achieved.

3. What factors can affect the load resistance value in a weird problem?

Some factors that can affect the load resistance value in a weird problem include the type of load being used, the power supply voltage, and the desired output current. Other external factors such as temperature and noise can also have an impact.

4. How does load resistance value impact the overall performance of a circuit?

The load resistance value directly affects the flow of current in a circuit. If the resistance is too high, the load may not receive enough current to operate properly. On the other hand, if the resistance is too low, the load may draw too much current and potentially damage the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to finding load resistance value in a weird problem?

Yes, there can be limitations to finding load resistance value in a weird problem. This can include the availability of certain components, accuracy of measurement tools, and the complexity of the circuit. Additionally, certain circuit designs may have specific requirements for load resistance that cannot be altered.