Welcome to Zenmaster99 - Crazy Physicist, Crazy Friend

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Welcome
In summary: Argonne folks chose nicknames starting with "Z". :rofl: Welcome to PF, ZM! That was, by the way, a flounder I swatted you with. :tongue2: If you want a better welcome, let's see if I can dig out some salmon. :grumpy: How come no one ever offers me chocolate, huh? How's a biologist supposed to live without chocolate? Zz, maybe you should start a "welcome a biologist to PF" thread so the biologists can all get a proper welcome with chocolate and stuff. :grumpy:In summary, a new member named zenmaster99
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Welcome to Zenmaster99!

Since he hasn't introduced himself yet, I want to welcome a friend of mine to PF. Zenmaster99 is yet another crazy physicist (crazy enough to associate with me :rofl:).

Feel free to whack him with as many welcome fish as you want. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Much thanks *bows*

I'll try not to be too dopey. But if someone can illuminate how my polehode rolls around on my herpolhode in the invariable plane, I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Or something.

Welcome to PF!

Welcome to PF, zenmaster! Who knows, I may bump into you at the cafeteria, so you may get your hamburger soon!

:)

Zz.

zenmaster99 said:
But if someone can illuminate how my polehode rolls around on my herpolhode in the invariable plane, I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Or something.

Huh? :biggrin:

Welcome. :wink:

Welcome Zenmaster, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Welcome, zenmaster99! Any friend of Moonbear's is, well, suspect... but welcome anyway! :biggrin:

zenmaster99 said:
...my polehode rolls around on my herpolhode in the invariable plane..
Ha! This takes me back to my undergrad days where a professor of mine tried desperately to illustrate this as we sat there, eyes glazed over...

zenmaster99 said:
Much thanks *bows*

I'll try not to be too dopey. But if someone can illuminate how my polehode rolls around on my herpolhode in the invariable plane, I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Will you have a side of spinach with the hamburger? Welcome to PF, honorable zenmaster.

As for the polehode rolling on the herpolhode, the forces tend to be free, unless of course the polhode slips, in which case, the forces are not mundane, they're nonholonomic. Ref: On the Poinsot Construction, David N. Williams, UMich, 1974, 1999 :biggrin:

Then there is the matter of the hyperbolhode. :cool:

Doc Al said:
Welcome, zenmaster99! Any friend of Moonbear's is, well, suspect... but welcome anyway! :biggrin:
:tongue: Fortunately, I've already warned him of this. :biggrin:

Ha! This takes me back to my undergrad days where a professor of mine tried desperately to illustrate this as we sat there, eyes glazed over...

Oh, good, because that's the reaction I had too. :bugeye: :rofl: I keep reminding him I'm NOT a physicist, these words mean nothing to me, as he gave me a quick lesson on fiber bundles last night over the phone (once determining he wasn't talking about nerves or fiber optics and realizing I had no idea what he was talking about). :uhh:

He's likely to join us for the PF gathering in Chicago, so I told him he has to sign up before we'll let him have Zz's good food. :wink:

Welcome zenmaster99!

<whacks zenmaster with a partially thawed flounder>

Nice to have you on board!

Evo said:
<whacks zenmaster with a partially thawed flounder>

Wow, see, Evo likes you already...she partially thawed the fish before smacking you with it! :biggrin: Now, Evo, careful with your aim with him...I kind of want to keep this one in one piece. :wink:

We need to have a hodedown as part of zenmaster's inauguration to PF. :biggrin:

Save that flounder for the fish and chips feast.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9499/welcome38gk.gif

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:

We still desperately need that :groan: smiley! Don't encourage him! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Astronuc said:

ha ha Excellent! :rofl:

Welcome, new friend, zenmaster. Now hold still..

<Thwack!>

Thought you might like to try the mahi mahi. It's our special today.

I don't have a fish to slap you with, so instead I'll pour some algae over your head. :biggrin: Welcome to PF Zenmaster!

Moonbear said:
We still desperately need that :groan: smiley! Don't encourage him! :rolleyes: :rofl:
Ummm - :uhh: - he started it. :biggrin:

Besides a little encouragement won't hurt. o:)

I don't know what's worse, hanging around with Moonbear, or joining PF.

Either way, welcome.

WHACK!

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't have a fish to slap you with, so instead I'll pour some algae over your head. :biggrin: Welcome to PF Zenmaster!

Wow, I can tell you like him already. Most people just get the frozen broccoli. :tongue2:

brewnog said:
I don't know what's worse, hanging around with Moonbear, or joining PF.
It would appear that zenmaster is doing both.

brewnog said:
Either way, welcome.

WHACK!
brewnog, what kind of fish was that?

Moonbear said:
Wow, I can tell you like him already.

You know as well as anyone how serious I am about my algae. :biggrin:

BTW, since Moonbie has mentioned the upcoming PF Gathering, this would be a perfect opportunity for me to advertise it again here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=154000

As of now, the unofficial, tentative date for the gathering will be Saturday, July 7, 2007.

Zz.

Holy crap. Well... I'm honored, I think. And seeing as I was just in Baltimore, I already smell like fish :-)

Alas, cooked spinach and broccoli are rather near brussel sprouts and salmon sushi---but, as a friend of mine once said: "It's a good thing I don't like broccoli because, if I did, I'd eat it; and god knows I hate the stuff."

Astronuc, not only am I associating with a (pretty personable) biologist and posting prose to physics phorums, but I'm also actively persuing pernicious phiber pbundles. ;-) Maybe I'll understand a covariant derivative one day.

Zapper: I'll wistle "It's a Small World" as I pass your office on Tuesday. :)

ZM

zenmaster99 said:
Zapper: I'll wistle "It's a Small World" as I pass your office on Tuesday. :)

See, Zz, I told you he'd pass the Disney test. Of course, ZM (what's with you folks at Argonne choosing nicknames starting with Z?), you may not yet realize the depths of this obsession. :biggrin: Have you seen the Disney Thread yet?! :bugeye: :rofl: Just trying to brace you.

Moonbear said:
See, Zz, I told you he'd pass the Disney test. Of course, ZM (what's with you folks at Argonne choosing nicknames starting with Z?), you may not yet realize the depths of this obsession. :biggrin: Have you seen the Disney Thread yet?! :bugeye: :rofl: Just trying to brace you.

Hum... I may be at the experimental floor on Tuesday... or in a meeting (my life seems to fluctuate between those two lately). Damn! I'll miss the It's A Small World tune!

:rofl:

Zz.

Astronuc said:
brewnog, what kind of fish was that?

A frozen one! Mwhahahaha!

zenmaster99 said:
Alas, cooked spinach and broccoli are rather near brussel sprouts and salmon sushi---but, as a friend of mine once said: "It's a good thing I don't like broccoli because, if I did, I'd eat it; and god knows I hate the stuff."
Try broccoli with a good cheese sauce. :tongue2:

Astronuc, not only am I associating with a (pretty personable) biologist and posting prose to physics phorums, but I'm also actively persuing pernicious phiber pbundles. ;-)
Phar out! Sounds like phun.

brewnog said:
A frozen one!
Umm, could you be more specific? Are we talking about 0°C or more along the lines of cryogenic - as in liquid N, H or He? I mean we need to be precise here in order to maintain the standards at PF.

I noticed that Evo and MIH have initiated the full seafood buffet treatment, . . . er um, I mean welcome. Whose got the snapper, and where did we put that lutefisk?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Umm, could you be more specific? Are we talking about 0°C or more along the lines of cryogenic - as in liquid N, H or He? I mean we need to be precise here in order to maintain the standards at PF.

It was a sea bass. And it had been left out overnight in my yard. Patio. Garden. So probably just below freezing.

Welcome welcome...*Whacks Zen with a dolphin*...wait...a dolphin isn't a fish...I'm bad at this...

So, of course, I have to ask: whence the fish slapping? Is this the old mIRC funnybutton come back to haunt me (now that I've graduated to XChat and IRSSI ;-)

Astronuc: I will find some cheese, I will find some broccoli, and I will ship them both to you. :) It would appear that Bush Sr. and I have *one* thing in common...

ZM

zenmaster99 said:
So, of course, I have to ask: whence the fish slapping?

You've heard of baptism by fryer?

zenmaster99 said:
Much thanks *bows*

Or something.

Now that is a Wimpy introduction. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forums.

zenmaster99 said:
So, of course, I have to ask: whence the fish slapping?ZM
It's something I started a long time ago. Actually, I started offering fish to newcomers, then someone else started hitting them with the fish. (I think), no telling what I'm responsible for, I could have been the first fish whacker. It is now a tradition. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
You've heard of baptism by fryer?

Integral said:
Now that is a Wimpy introduction. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forums.

Ooh, a double groaner! :rofl:

Where's Tsu? I think he needs to meet the entire sisterhood.