What am I doing wrong in this simple exponential integral?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a double integral that involves the antiderivative of e^{-xy}. The individual is having trouble with the differentiation and integration process. They are seeking help from their teacher and are trying to figure out the correct solution. The conversation also touches on the use of the Newton-Leibnitz formula and the concept of treating x as a constant rather than a variable. The final solution is to substitute x for a in the original integral and use the given hint to solve the problem.
exitwound
This is part of double integral. I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The inner integral comes out to be:

[tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-xy}dy}[/tex]

I emailed my teacher to help me through it, and he says this should integrate down to 1/X but I can't seem to figure out how. I'm no good with exponentials and differentiation/integration.

The antiderivative of [itex]e^{-xy}[/itex] is [itex]-xe^{-xy}[/itex] correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat [tex]x[/tex] as a constant when doing this table integral with respect to the dummy variable [tex]y[/tex]. It only converges if [tex]x > 0[/tex].

In English would be preferable. :)

exitwound said:
In English would be preferable. :)

Please cover the section on Parametric Integrals. kthnxbai.

exitwound said:
The antiderivative of [itex]e^{-xy}[/itex] is [itex]-xe^{-xy}[/itex] correct?
That is incorrect. Differentiate your result with respect to y. Do you get [itex]e^{-xy}[/itex]?

Get in the habit of double-checking your work, and in longer calculations, double-check your intermediate results. It might take a bit of extra work to do so, but it will save a lot of wasted effort.

Obviously, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know that down to this point, everything's correct, as I've double-checked it vs what the teacher had given to me.

I realize I have to differentiate it with respect to y but this is where I'm having trouble. Would it be [itex](e^{-xy})/-x[/itex]? I'm not sure how to go through this one.

exitwound said:
obviously, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know that down to this point, everything's correct, as I've double-checked it vs what the teacher had given to me.

I realize i have to differentiate it with respect to y but this is where I'm having trouble. Would it be [itex](e^{-xy})/-x[/itex]? I'm not sure how to go through this one.

it is a definite integral! You need to use the Newton - leibinitz formula (a.k.a the fundamental theorem of calculus) and substitute the limits!

exitwound said:
I realize I have to differentiate it with respect to y but this is where I'm having trouble. Would it be [itex](e^{-xy})/-x[/itex]? I'm not sure how to go through this one.
You are making this too hard. This is an easy problem.

Suppose a is some constant. What is

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax}\,dx[/tex]

Conceptually, there is zero difference between the above and the problem at hand. Stop thinking of x as always being a variable. It isn't in this case.

That's what I've been trying to do for a few hours now. I know x isn't a variable. I know it's a constant.

In the case of your question:

[tex](\frac{e^{-ax}}{-a})_0^\infty[/tex]

[tex](0-(1/-a))=1/a[/tex]

yes?

exitwound said:
That's what I've been trying to do for a few hours now. I know x isn't a variable. I know it's a constant.

In the case of your question:

[tex](\frac{e^{-ax}}{-a})_0^\infty[/tex]

[tex](0-(1/-a))=1/a[/tex]

yes?

Now, substitute [tex]a \rightarrow x[/tex] and look at the hint your instructor gave you. Also, consider when you can make the value on the upper bound equal zero as you did.

So:
[tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-xy}}dy = \frac{e^{-xy}}{-x}_0^\infty = 0+1/x [/tex]

Related to What am I doing wrong in this simple exponential integral?

1. What is a simple exponential integral?

A simple exponential integral is a mathematical function that involves the integration of an exponential function. It is represented by the notation ∫e^x dx and can be solved using various integration techniques.

2. What are the applications of simple exponential integrals?

Simple exponential integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. They are used to model exponential growth and decay phenomena, such as radioactive decay and population growth. They are also used in calculating the area under a curve and in solving differential equations.

3. How do you solve a simple exponential integral?

To solve a simple exponential integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to remember the basic rules of integration, such as the power rule and the constant multiple rule, when solving these types of integrals.

4. Can a simple exponential integral have limits of integration?

Yes, a simple exponential integral can have limits of integration. This means that the integral is evaluated over a specified interval, rather than being evaluated for a single value of x. These limits can affect the value of the integral, and they are often used to solve problems involving area and volume.

5. Is there a relationship between simple exponential integrals and exponential functions?

Yes, there is a close relationship between simple exponential integrals and exponential functions. In fact, the integral of an exponential function is the inverse of the derivative of that function. This means that the value of an exponential integral can be found by taking the derivative of the exponential function and then evaluating it at the given limits of integration.