Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the efficiencies of steam compressors that are available?

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    For some purpose, I need a steam compressor that can compress sub atmospheric level steam to atmospheric and above. I want to know what's the efficiency of an average steam compressor available in market. I have got some replies from a few steam compressor manufacturers, but the system they are offering have efficiency less than 10%. Do other steam compressors are inefficient to that level in reality?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please tell us what this project is all about and what your level of technical knowledge is .

4. Jun 4, 2016 #3
    This is about vacuum evaporation of water in an Evaporator and discharge that steam to keep the pressure level inside same. I can't say no more than that at this time. I want to know what are the efficiencies of compressors used in such system.

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jun 5, 2016 #5
    Does that make this irrelevant?

7. Jun 6, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes .

8. Jun 6, 2016 #7
    That's your own opinion.

9. Jun 6, 2016 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Jun 6, 2016 #9
    Well, everything said in this page is about gas compression, steam compression is different. Actually, I am looking for the info for a project of my own. It's about compressing very low pressure steam upto atmospheric level and above. I have found just two quotes so far and the efficiency I have found is below 10%. Now, I am sure that they don't have any idea about low pressure steam compression and are making mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted