What branch of engineering is this?

In summary, In order to connect machines and sensors together, an expert in EE/CE should have a good understanding of controls, sensors, and programming.
tamtam402
I'd like to work into integrating sensors/programs to robots and machines to "connect" the parts together and make them work.

Ex: I don't want to design the hydraulics or mechanical parts, I'd like to be the guy that connects ****, integrate the controls AND make everything work together.

What field is that? EE? CE?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably EE or Robotics (which is an EE/ME/CS hybrid).

tamtam402 said:
I'd like to work into integrating sensors/programs to robots and machines to "connect" the parts together and make them work.

Ex: I don't want to design the hydraulics or mechanical parts, I'd like to be the guy that connects ****, integrate the controls AND make everything work together.

What field is that? EE? CE?

EE, may be the best, but CE is also good. CE is best for just microcontroller and programming aspects along with digital design. However, EE is a little better for integration and making everything working together. A good EE should know the basics of mechanics sufficient to do robotics. ME can also be good because many ME's specializing in robotics know electronics also.

Basically, once you mention integration, controls and making everything work, you are really bordering on system engineering. System engineers need to be reasonably good in all areas and need to know how to specify the system level design and ensure compatibility of subsystem interfaces. System engineers can be any type of engineer, but ME and EE provide good backgrounds to be able to learn just about any new system related to robotics.

You correctly mentioned the word "controls" which can be a very challenging aspect of robotics. Whatever your actual discipline, a good understanding of control system engineering is important.

One word: Mechatronics

I am a final year student myself and certainly control principle is at the heart of Mechatronics Eng.

Apart from control system, sensors and programming are covered in Mechatronics.

tamtam402 said:
I'd like to be the guy that connects ****, integrate the controls AND make everything work together.

I understand what you mean. I am a computer science major and what I want to do the most is make avionics and computers that control unmanned aircraft.
Most control of devices is provided by electronic means. Whether it be through software or hardware it will all be done with electronics. I am my opinion computer science is the best for learning control systems.

kgbgru said:
I am my opinion computer science is the best for learning control systems.

I'm surprised by this statement, but I have to admit that I'm not all that familiar with what computer science focuses on nowadays. Traditionally, control systems theory and practice is taught in engineering programs.

Can you please elaborate on this? Is this a new trend? Or, an old one that I'm just uneducated about?

At my school computer science is an engineering program. And we are the only major that incorperates physics and math to describe and control systems. EE and CE have some of the physics and almost none of the math.

Mechatronics.

EDIT: Damn, Robert beat me to it. :(

kgbgru said:
At my school computer science is an engineering program. And we are the only major that incorperates physics and math to describe and control systems. EE and CE have some of the physics and almost none of the math.

Interesting, I've never thought of CS as an engineering discipline, but yeah why shouldn't it be. The math side makes sense, but I never thought of physics as being an important part of CS. Thank you for educating me. I can see advantages of approaching system control theory with a background in CS.

I'm suprised that your school's EE and CE don't cover the math of control systems. All EE/CE programs I'm familiar with have extensive math and control system courses, and they are available to those who choose to specialize in feedback & control or systems theory in general.

kgbgru said:
At my school computer science is an engineering program. And we are the only major that incorporates physics and math to describe and control systems. EE and CE have some of the physics and almost none of the math.

Interesting. Does the CS program include the study of sensors?

If it does, I can't see any difference at all between CS and Mechatronics. In fact, I'm surprised that there could hardly be any difference at all.

Hi

Mechatronics, a branch of engineering which is a system-level approach to designing electromechanical systems that merges mechanical, electrical, control and embedded software design.

http://www.euroconstructiononline.net"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific, mathematical, and practical knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes to solve real-world problems. It is a broad field that encompasses many different branches, such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering.

2. What are the main branches of engineering?

The main branches of engineering include civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each branch focuses on different aspects of designing, building, and maintaining different types of structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

3. What is the difference between the different branches of engineering?

The different branches of engineering differ in their specific focus and applications. For example, civil engineering focuses on the design and construction of infrastructure and buildings, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems and machines. Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while chemical engineering focuses on the design and operation of chemical processes. Lastly, computer engineering involves the development and design of computer hardware and software systems.

4. What branch of engineering is best for me?

The best branch of engineering for you depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. If you enjoy working with structures and buildings, civil engineering may be a good fit for you. If you are interested in machines and mechanical systems, mechanical engineering may be a good choice. If you have a knack for working with computers and technology, computer engineering may be the right path for you. It is important to research and explore different branches of engineering to determine which one aligns with your interests and strengths.

5. How do I become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Some engineering positions may require a master's degree or a professional engineering license. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs to develop practical skills. Additionally, continuous learning and staying updated on advancements in the field are important for a successful engineering career.